Yoyo rerelease

Hey, y’all. Just wondering about some opinions on the issue of other companies rereleasing yoyos under a new name. For example, yotricks fairly recently came out with the throwback 1-up, which is just the YoYoFactory wedge. You also have the match by throwback, the ascent by offset (originally magicyoyo), etc.
But yeah, just wanted to know what y’all thought about this. I hadn’t realized this really was a thing until recently

I thought it was a pretty standard practice

Anyway, I’d assume it would be mutually beneficial for both parties (the original producer and the rebrander) or people wouldn’t do it.

Personally, I have no problem with it :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah, not that it’s a problem lol. I just think it’s funny to release a yoyo in 2023 that originally came out in 2019 with a different name and company, but maybe thats a common practice

2 Likes

I don’t have a problem with yo-yo’s being rebranded, like a lot of the yotricks being YoYoFactory made.

I do find it unoriginal with names being used across companies. I’m sure there are others who will disagree but I find it as ridiculous as car makers announcing their 2024 model lineup.

The Kia Mustang
Toyota Mustang
Dodge Mustang

Then to top it off would be the Mercedes Mustang RAV4

1 Like

For anyone curious, the Match by Throwback is just a YoYoFactory Loop 720 and the Offset YoYos Ascent is just a Magicyoyo K2 Crystal.

A few other examples include Dazzling Dave’s FrostBite being a rebranded Recess First Base that doesn’t include the unresponsive bearing, Throwback Oracle being a rebranded YoYoFactory Loop 360, Throwback Sage being a rebranded YoYoFactory Arrow and the Throwback Sage Classic being a rebranded YoYoFactory OneStar.

Is the YoyoFactory DNA a rebranded Metal Arrow? I’ve been wondering about that

2 Likes

FWIW some of the Loop 720 “rebrands” have different but interchangeable internals. For example, the Match is a 720 but with a B sized bearing.

2 Likes

Cap/ dimple is very similar but The shape is quite different :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Oh, I did not know that. I honestly don’t see much good coming out of this change though, given that B-sized bearings are pretty difficult to find and the bearing isn’t made of stainless steel and will rust.

1 Like

@yoyo-man92 is right. The shape of the DNA is very different from the metal arrow and the specs are different as well. So nope, the DNA isn’t a rebranded metal arrow.

Metal arrow specs:

Label Measurement
Diameter: 54.28 mm / 2.14 inches
Width: 41.03 mm / 1.62 inches
Gap Width: 4.62 mm / 0.18 inches
Weight: 65.6 grams

DNA specs:

Label Measurement
Diameter: 54.8mm
Width: 42.9mm
Weight: 66 grams
1 Like

For me, the B bearing has a slightly more consistent response (I have Loop 720s but swapped out with the Sunrise bearing kit). I was planning to pick up another 720 at some point to keep a pair set up both ways.

2 Likes

Ah I see, that makes sense.

2 Likes

What about the iyoyo night moves? And then there’s the other company that makes a new Bapezilla and i think a peak too?

I personally think that’s rad, because alot of us were not able to get an Anti-yo back then, and all todays players get to see what playing a yoyojam was like.

Hey… don’t forget the 2025 Porsche Tacoma Shortbed.