Are we being fooled?

Ever think they rehash YOYO’s and just sell them under different names? One style yoyo has to be the best, then you pick the color you want. I think all yoyo design’s have been made by now.

CAJUN

4 Likes

Ehhh, NO.

11 Likes

Not really…

5 Likes

All designs have been made? I disagree

3 Likes

Only on a few occasions has the same exact design been sold under different names. Usually only the lower end metals or plastics. One iteration of the YYF Popstar is sold under quite a few different companies, another being YoyoKing. Then there’s a few plastics out there that are rebranded. Many companies use the same yo-yo machine companies in China. Just cheaper and easier to sometimes print their name and logo on a yo-yo that the mold is already made for or design is already available.

4 Likes

Life would be much easier if that were true. Boring. But easier.

4 Likes

I kinda know what you mean but at the same time people’s preferences are not the same and what a large group of people will love there’s another large group of people that do not love it and even despise it. Why do we need so many different books when the best book has probably already been written? There is no one yoyo that everyone will love.

4 Likes

The first yoyo that came to mind when I read this comment was the RCS yoyo they literally named rebrand. They wore everything on their sleeves with that one haha

5 Likes

Make it smaller, make it wider, make it bigger, change the colors. Then do the slightest thing, change the name, change the weight, send it to you tubers and start again.
The oldest toy in history only can change so much. It’s not the yoyo, it’s the user.

1 Like

I will refer you to the recently released Red Blood Cell (RBC).

If you can tell us what other make and model plays exactly the same way, I’m sure a lot of us would love to know.

Are a lot of yoyo designs similar? Yes.

Do a lot of yoyo designs play similarly to other designs? Yes.

Have all the possible designs been tried? Absolutely not.

edit: As a side note, very few specific yoyo models stay in continuous production, so even if we had exhausted the entire design space (which we haven’t), there is still value in companies revisiting old designs if only to make them available again.

Sure, it’s the oldest toy in history, but only in the past few decades has the design started to evolve a lot.

11 Likes

One man, singlehandedly defeats consumerism, Forever 21 and fast fashion is trembling at the knees…

I kid, in all seriousness to discredit a design for being similar to something else almost defeats the whole personalization aspect people enjoy about this hobby to begin with.

If there was only 1 “good” yoyo, how many of us would even be here? We all love oozing over someones new design, or a new colorway of a throw we already like, it’s all a part of the experience.

Do you want just one t-shirt? Just one pair of pants? Sure they might be the most comfy, you might think it’s all you need, and yes! It probably is all you need! But is it what you want? Is this the direction everything should go?

I have no answer, simply sparking thought.

8 Likes

Are ‘you’ being fooled? Potentially, but likely not.

Truth in advertising is a thing. If we, as manufacturers/designers/etc., make a false claim to deceive you into purchasing our product - then shame on us.

This is not just true in the yoyo business, it’s true in any industry. Mario brings up a good point about apparel.

My two cents. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Many bi-metals look like the Draupnir but they play distinct from each other despite trying to achieve competitive playability. There are tons of organics now but all have distinct flavors and aren’t just Grail clones.

For me, it’s like listening to music. Some genres sound more similar than others but there’s always going to be something new to experience even if it’s building around or paying homage a previous thing.

2 Likes

I’m assuming it’s sort of like musical instruments. As a beginner a MYY Hertz is similar to a $300 titanium yoyo, but once you’re skilled you can enjoy the subtleties more.

5 Likes

(This user has been censored by forum moderators)

11 Likes

Like Cajun music, kind of all the same, but once you’re into it ,you appreciate the differences.

4 Likes

Variety is the spice of life! A small minority of my throws feel a little samey, but the majority of them are unique in some way.

1 Like

Yes Virginia, we are being fooled.

1 Like

No :slight_smile:

1 Like

If appreciating spinny bois is foolish then I don’t wanna be right no more

5 Likes