Yoyo material ideas

challenge accepted for paper

Abby said sheā€™s going to make a duct tape one. Hereā€™s a couple more ideas: clouds, coconut, a bunch of gear looking things, putting silver spikes on a metal one

So many of these have been doneā€¦

Zirconium Ceramic Bearings - ā€¦thatā€™s what ceramic bearings areā€¦ you can buy them from any yoyo shop. Full ceramics (the entire bearing made from it instead of just the balls) are very pricey and worthless as far as yoyos go.

Glass has been done several times. I did Pyrex yo-yos many years ago, still have halves unassembled floating around my house/carā€¦ cool novelty. There were also 2 different glass yo-yos in the world mod contest a few years ago.

Granite - has been done for sidecaps/rims but not for a full yoyo. Not practical, but kinda cool.

Carbon Fiber has been done numerous times. The rev-g was the first in the late 90s and was one of the worst yoyos ever made. S.kon from Japan has made several carbon fiber yoyos (the carbon battler won the world mod contest several years ago) of various designs.

Paper - Also has been done, and very well. S.kon from Japan laminated several hundred layers of paper together with a resin and machined a freehand zero shaped yoyo from it. I have one of these, theyā€™re incredibleā€¦ and beautiful. He used origami paper so the colors/patterns in it are amazing.

Exotic Woods - Been done countless times. Eric Wolff is the master of thisā€¦ he uses Cocobolo regularly, as well as Ebony and many othersā€¦ anything he can get his hands on really. Alan Gray, Ritchie Nye and many others have also done many yo-yos from wood. Iā€™ve done a handful myself but I do prefer my metal lathes :slight_smile:

Kyle

1 Like

but nobody can or will do platinum 190

</high five/> to that guy sounds like a lotta work

I saw it at worlds it was awesome and Kyle Let me touch it. Each layer of paper had to dry individually and there are over 100 layers.

Transparent Aluminum!

Fine, how about solid rhomium?

Plaster, which would be pretty light and easily dented, but cool

thatā€™s the ticket, laddie.

how about osmium! one ding would crack it, but until thenā€¦

OR A ORANGE!!

Diamond! It would be the most durable Yoyo ever!

wouldnā€™t it scratch easily though

Haha ALOL good jokeā€¦ humā€¦iā€¦i think i will go eat pie nowā€¦

1 Like

Transparent aluminum does actually exist oddly enoughā€¦ itā€™s called aluminum oxynitride (aka AION). It starts as a powder, is put into a mold, smashed at 15,000psi, then heated to 2000 degrees C for several days which fuses the grains into a very, very strong solid. After a bit of polishing, itā€™s optically clear.

No reason it couldnā€™t be used to make yoyosā€¦ but umā€¦ theyā€™d cost a large fortuneā€¦ itā€™s not exactly a cheap process.

Also Re: Diamond -

It would break/shatter very easilyā€¦ diamond is strong, but brittle. It wouldnā€™t scratch, but it would break. Oddly enough I was given the opportunity to make a (somewhat small) yo-yo from a single piece of synthetic diamondā€¦ but it wasnā€™t worth the -massive- investment cost so that some other company could use it for promotional materials.

Kyle

hmmā€¦ sorry, I thought diamond would scratch but not brake. Very informative kyo, thank you

W already have a Carbon Steel yoyo and Magnesiumā€¦I donā€™t know what else thereā€™d be, other than those mentioned.