YoYo maintenance and questions

For YYJ it says one drop too. I say use the dip and touch method. Besides it will takes less time to break in. A lot less. When I use this method there is no break in time it is unresponsive.

But you can use a drop, it’s just quicker and saves a lot.

And GregP, I used a drop on all my yoyos when I got my lube and I used about a 10th. So that’s 10 drops every time for every yoyo.

But it doesn’t matter.

Even if it’s a 10th, you don’t lube all your bearings all the time. Once broken in, a lubed bearing can last a good long time without needing more lube. But let’s call it once a month. That tiny bottle is still going to last you about a year. For maintaining 10 yoyos monthly.

Practically speaking, I’ve owned a bottle of lube since I bought my DM2. I often use a full drop even if it’s putting that drop on a pin and having some of it go to waste (I don’t remove the dropper part). I can barely tell the level has gone down. That’s about 7 months already, I believe.

If you have one or two yoyos that you occasionally lube, that bottle is going to last well over a year. Maybe two.

If that’s not a “long” time, I don’t know what is. :wink:

Regarding the break-in time, you’re right. Less lube will require less break-in; no lube will require no break-in. I still do the “dip and touch” (well, drop on a pin and then touch) method sometimes, too, but I’ve discovered that a full drop, worked well throughout the bearing, and then “blasted” with a quick shot of canned air works. Aim somewhere you don’t mind oil getting on, because you will actually see the excess oil spray out from the bearing.

Never had to really break in a bearing using that method. A couple gyro flops and I’m good!

Definitely more break-in with a full drop and just putting it right back into the yoyo, though. Still, I don’t mind too much. You just have to be mindful of the kinds of tricks you’re doing; you can still keep playing more or less the way you usually do.

Got it :). I just am impatient when it comes to unresponsiveness break in time :).

No, I think it’s a yo-yo enhancement, like vibe…

I dint get it???

Won’t paint thinner/ mineral spirits do the same thing to plastic?

No big deal. It’s a bad joke.

Are you referring to softening the plastic?

It depends…
Mineral spirits won’t have any bad effects on polycarb or delrin (celcon), the two most likely used plastics for yoyos. Otherwise, define “paint thinner” before you answer. lacquer thinner is a “paint thinner” and it will eat plastic as fast or faster than acetone.