YoYo is super quiet and smooth but doesn't spin long?

I have a One Drop T1 that is extremely smooth and quiet… but it doesn’t sleep nearly as long as my other (less expensive) throws. I haven’t measured it’s exact sleep time but I can barely get through a handful of simple tricks before it starts to go sideways and die.

Contrast that with literally every other YoYo I have (Sync, Confusion, Siren, Arrow, etc.) and they all spin considerably longer.

I got it used from someone so it’s not new or anything… but it is incredibly smooth and quiet which makes me think it should spin better than my others, not worse.

Any ideas what might be causing it?

1 Like

I’m a noob so your mileage may vary but,
I swapped out my OD 10ball for a centering bearing and it made my VTWO rock.
I just don’t quite have string plane management down yet and was causing the spin time to be killed.

1 Like

If you take the yoyo apart and flick-spin the bearing, it should spin for at least 10 seconds. If it doesn’t then either it needs to be cleaned (it might have too much lube in it), or something is wrong with it. Try swapping out for a new–hopefully clean–bearing and see if it spins longer (even if it is noisier).

2 Likes

Too much lube could definetly make it quiet with less spin time

2 Likes

Could be a combination. The One Drop 10 Ball is a great bearing, but, it makes you responsible for keeping the string from rubbing the response. A centering bearing will help there (I think all the other yoyos you mentioned have some sort of centering bearing). Maybe swap bearings and see if that improves Spin time. If that helps, then move to the flick test and, if the bearing is performing well there, it suggests the issue is technique. The good news is practice will fix it, and, playing yoyo is fun!

1 Like

As noted a couple of times above, a quiet bearing is more than likely a sign of too much lube. Clean it and lube ever so lightly.

1 Like