Yoyo Emoji

Me too

1 Like

We have @docpop to thank for thisā€¦ it is live now in Discourse, obviously the best forum software of all timeā€¦ OF ALL TIME!

https://docpop.org/2018/05/where-is-the-yoyo-emoji/

https://doctorpopular.com/popcast-10-the-yo-yo-emoji-is-coming-next-year/

https://doctorpopular.com/the-yo-yo-emoji-is-here/

:yo-yo:

5 Likes

Lol awesome!

1 Like

:yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo::yo-yo:

^ estimate size of my collection

5 Likes

Here are a few more examples of the yo-yo emoji out in the wild. One is from twemoji (Twitterā€™s open source emoji projectā€¦ which isnā€™t used by Twitterā€™s mobile apps for some dumb reason).
22%20PM
And here is a screenshot from the beta of Android Q, which should give us an idea of the final Google version

Both Twitter and Google seem to have dropped Unicodeā€™s suggested purple color in favor a scarlet red. Aside from a strange pink on red color scheme, Twitter did seem to stick with unicodeā€™s gravity-defying string.
Though itā€™s still early, I believe Googleā€™s version of the emoji will be the best to get released. Like Twitter, Google went for a scarlet red version, but this version seems far more detailed and illustrated than most other emoji. This version feels far more depth than your typical emoji design and not how the string not only obeys the laws of gravity, it also seems to pop right out at you. Those yellow and green spirals on the sides remind me of something, perhaps spoke covers for BMX wheels in the 80s? I canā€™t wait to see the vector file for this emoji.
As more versions appear, you can track the differences on Emojipedia.

5 Likes

Hmm, Android version has optical swirlies ā€¦ and a string that respects gravity!

3 Likes

Microsoftā€™s yo-yo emoji is out now.
yo-yo_microsoft
It retains many of the characteristics of the art from our original proposal (purple body, yellow string, the concept of gravity), but this version features a classic imperial shape instead of a butterfly.
Iā€™m not a fan of the thick black outline, but I imagine it fits in with the rest of Microsoftā€™s emojis.

12 Likes

:yo-yo: :love_you_gesture:

Twitter, android, unicode ??? what is this alchemy. It all went down hill when gas mantles got taken over with that darn electro stuff. Itā€™ll come to no good, you mark my words.
Bring back the wireless.

2 Likes

I like it.

i like it too. Just wish my eyesight was better.

ugh waiting on Discord and Google Keyboard to pick up the :yo-yo:

edit: Started a topic on discord to hopefully get it on there

3 Likes

We still have to wait until the fall for Appleā€™s emoji update, but theyā€™ve recently shown what their yo-yo emoji will look like.

Ignoring our purple suggestion, Apple went for a bold green look with a surprising amount of detail in shadingā€¦ and look at that string! Not only is it affected by gravity, you can practically can the threads of the string. Looks like 100% cotton.

9 Likes

And itā€™s green too @twitch77

6 Likes

Donā€™t encourage him

6 Likes

:green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::elf::surfing_man::surfing_woman::people_holding_hands::peacock::parrot::frog::crocodile::turtle::lizard::snake::dragon_face::dragon::t_rex::bug::microbe::bouquet::wilted_flower::shamrock::sunflower::tulip::seedling::evergreen_tree::deciduous_tree::palm_tree::cactus::ear_of_rice::herb::shamrock::four_leaf_clover::leaves::nauseated_face::face_vomiting::watermelon::lemon::pineapple::mango::apple::green_apple::pear::peach::cherries::strawberry::kiwi_fruit::avocado::carrot::corn::cucumber::leafy_green::broccoli::green_salad::dango::champagne::beverage_box::earth_africa::earth_americas::earth_asia::camping::desert_island::national_park::house_with_garden::articulated_lorry::auto_rickshaw::motorway::railway_track::traffic_light::vertical_traffic_light::canoe::rainbow::christmas_tree::tanabata_tree::bamboo::golf::framed_picture::gloves::dress::briefs::shorts::womans_hat::trackball::pager::battery::green_book::books::euro::chart::bar_chart::gun::test_tube::soap::recycle::beginner::white_check_mark::negative_squared_cross_mark::eight_spoked_asterisk::sparkle::u6307::green_circle::green_square::rainbow_flag::afghanistan::azerbaijan::bangladesh::burkina_faso::bulgaria::burundi::benin::bolivia::brazil::belarus::cocos_islands::central_african_republic::congo_brazzaville::cote_divoire::cameroon::christmas_island::djibouti::dominica::algeria::western_sahara::eritrea::ethiopia::gabon::grenada::french_guiana::ghana::gambia::guinea::equatorial_guinea::guinea_bissau::guyana::hungary::ireland::india::iran::it::jordan::comoros::st_kitts_nevis::lesotho::lithuania::libya::madagascar::mali::myanmar::macau::mauritania::mauritius::maldives::malawi::mexico::mozambique::namibia::new_caledonia::niger::norfolk_island::nigeria::oman::pakistan::palestinian_territories::portugal::rwanda::saudi_arabia::solomon_islands::seychelles::sierra_leone::senegal::suriname::south_sudan::sao_tome_principe::togo::tajikistan::turkmenistan::tanzania::uzbekistan::st_vincent_grenadines::vanuatu::south_africa::zambia::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart:

2 Likes

Emoji update:

• Android 10 was released on September 3rd and includes all of the new emoji in Unicode 12.0.
    * iOS 13 is scheduled for release on September 19th and will include Appleā€™s emoji update as well. It didnā€™tā€¦ I think we have to wait for iOS 13.1
  • Samsungā€™s version of the yo-yo emoji as a cute little purple yo-yo, but be sure to tie that knot before you give it a toss!
    yo-yo_1fa80
8 Likes

I recommend making the color solid, like a mint green or aqua blue

Re-sharing this video for #WorldEmojiDay

2 Likes