Yoyo colours

do yoyo colours really matter? like if you have white yoyo can you see it better on stage?

Yes and no. You can make arguments for why brighter colors are superior for performing, but it doesn’t actually matter that much. There are very very good players who will compete with black/dark colored yoyos and it’s fine.

Brighter colors are just easier for the audience and judges to see, and you could make an argument that a brighter/more engaging color can help elevate your showmanship.

Gentry likes the YoyoFactory aqua color because of how much it visually stands out on stage. Petr Kavka requested a run of silver colored Scouts to use in competition so the yoyo would stand out more.

3 Likes

I prefer a darker yo-yo and a neon string. For my it allows me to see what I’m doing better.

I don’t compete so it doesn’t matter what it looks like to others. But I like how it looks visually from my perspective

2 Likes

I just started up again and only have one yoyo for now. Before I quit, this picture was probably taken several years ago. As you can see, blue and silver are my ideal.

7 Likes

They don’t really.

I’ve met some people who insist that there are differences in how a yoyo plays because of the color. They cite that the different weights of the anodization dye can cause a slightly different weighing end product and thus cause a yoyo to play differently. But that’s some wild yoyo placebo if you ask me.

EDIT: Some competitors don’t care what color they use, some want a flashy color, some prefer darker colors

2 Likes

Yeah, for casual play, I just get whatever color catches my eye the most lol. I have tend to gravitate toward purple throws and green throws

1 Like

The placebo be hitting me hard. I swear my clear d7 plays slightly lighter than the red and black one I have.

1 Like

I wonder how big a yo would have to be where you would notice an appreciable difference in play due to anodizing material weight

Just a side note…
most people perceive color is a range from slightly to very drastically different from your own.
This may be a single reason in a sea of many, why a person with amazing talent my pick awful colors for a throw.

Also indoor light compared to sunlight changes the way a throw looks.

I really enjoy Anodizing splashes and the way the look on video when spinning.