Does the color of a yoyo affect your play?

I feel like the color of the yoyo I’m using effects my play. Some people say I’m imagining things, am I?

3 Likes

@twitch77 might have some insight here…

4 Likes

there might be some truth here. I know with stuff like skateboard wheels, the color dye they use can affect feel and apparently roll speed??

According to Drew Tetz, certain colors of butterflies will play better than others as well. I’m willing to believe him considering how many butterflies that man owns. I guess in theory, color might actually have an effect on play with plastic yoyos? However plastic has too much variation in the first place to really form a conclusion, tbh.

5 Likes

I consulted many experts and 9 out of 10 auto mechanics agree!
Green yo-yos do indeed spin 10% faster and 8% longer then any other color of yoyo!

I don’t think the color effects anything ‘physically’ but I can totally see a yoyo feeling like it performs better because you psychologically like the way it looks. Kinda like a placebo.

Just my thoughts :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not very, but black yos are a bit harder to see at night

5 Likes

clear, feel less stressed

2 Likes

I baby ano’d yoyos
I jam on raw yoyos

4 Likes

I avoid black or really dark yoyos. I’m old, have worn glasses since I was 4, and need a yoyo that I can easily see. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I mainly throw fixed axle in a pitch black Cave at night(during full moons)

I like mainly Hickory brown yoyos

Because when you set them on fire, they burn much longer.

I have a tendency to not like yoyos that are in colorways I find distasteful.

And i’m more likely to enjoy throwing yoyos that are in colors I prefer.

I often Airbrush my yoyos to look like $100 bills.

After all, who doesn’t like throwing around money?

…When I throw black yoyos I can smell asphalt.

When I throw white yoyos I think of Santa Claus.

When I throw green yoyos I remember to check the refrigerator for expired food.

When I throw purple yoyos I always have fond memories of all the bruises I got on my head from doing Shoot the Moons with my Masamuni.

When I throw Orange yoyos I end up at Jamba Juice.

When I throw red yoyos I keep stopping for some reason. But after I come to a complete STOP, I start going again.

Throwing brown yoze are the most costly though. Because I wipe them down with toilet paper after each powerful combo.

Life is a Peach…

11 Likes

No.

I suck no matter what the color of the yoyo is. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

@yoyodoc needs an orange and red half swap yoyo so he can stop going to Jamba Juice.

5 Likes

Depends on lighting conditions for me, but generally string color matters much more. I generally roll with whites or bright/neon strings to ensure that I can push the limits of my mediocrity :wink:

2 Likes

I think glow in the dark yoyos, combined with neon string in a dark room with a few black lights; is the most enlightening experience.

7 Likes

not in my experience. but, being selective on color choice will effect your ability to play certain yoyos… and gives me an opportunity to play more… ‘cuz fatguy don’ care ‘bout colors.

4 Likes

My 7th grade English teacher would have a seizure reading this topic and thread… remember the R.A.V.E.N.

1 Like

In honor of the recent teacher appreciation day I figured I’d save your 7th-grade teacher an incident.

2 Likes

Awesome story about my 7th grade teacher actually now that I’m thinking about Mrs. Wong. My entire 24 case of yoyos was stolen one night from our yoyo club and when she found out, she had her son (he previously worked at Kitty Hawk Kites in the mall) put together a Yomega sling filled with assorted throws to get my collection back on track again.

8 Likes

No.

(full sentence)

2 Likes

The colour has no effect. I am sure we all have preferences but it would be a very sad hobby for me if I was restricted to just a favourite colour.

3 Likes

That was very nice. What a great memory! Do you still have any of those yoyos?

1 Like