Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

@hsb

Should have a space for a Allen Wrench/Hex Key now.

4 Likes

alternatively, you could remove one wall off the groove and fill it with a poly carbonate ring to stop snagging

1 Like

A plastic that can be machined to the correct thread size might work. I see nylon threaded components at that size, but I have no idea if that material would work as a finger-spinning surface.

Assuming that you want to minimize weight, POM and PC are significantly lighter than AL, but the trade-off at the amount of material here vs. strength and manufacturing difficulties might not be worth it.

1 Like

maybe a matador spike?

1 Like

Spikes like this?

1 Like

maybe a slot instead of hex - less chance of stripping it, and easier to manufacture. plus, there’s no risk of the screwdriver slipping out of the slot when it’s inside of the yoyo like this, so pretty much no downside, right?

5 Likes

If these are metal caps I would consider adding like a small step or something on the cup so you can use a rubber gasket to cushion the metal on metal contact. Otherwise you might want them to not be fully flush.

1 Like

I was going to put in a slot after what you said but unfortunately, there is not enough room for one.

Not enough room for a slot? or for the screwdriver? should be reasonable for both - you can buy stock m4 grub screws that are slotted; and there’s lots of smaller types of screwdrivers that can fit into an axle hole just fine.

I tried going like this:

Is this not what you meant?

A slot like this.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ve never seen that before. Huh.

Maybe you’ve seen slotted screws? These are a lot more common

I’ve seen those before.

Specs:
Width: 48mm
Diameter: 60mm
Half Weight: 28.8gms
Assembled Weight: 60.5gms
MMOI: 18533
Axle: M4 x 8mm x 0.7mm
Bearing Size: Size C
Body Material: 7068 Aluminum
Gap Width: 4.56mm

Decided to experiment with a higher diameter yo-yo.

Thoughts/Criticism?

3 Likes

Specs:
Width: 44mm
Diameter: 55mm
Half Weight: 39.05gms
Assembled Weight: 81gms
MMOI: 19468
Body Material: 7075 Aluminum
Rim Material: 303 Stainless Steel
Axle: M4 x 8mm x 0.7mm
Bearing: Size C

Thoughts/Criticism?

1 Like

Specs:
Width: 48mm
Catch Zone: 32.31mm
Diameter: 55mm
Half Weight: 31.06gms
Assembled Weight: 65.02gms
MMOI: 18552
Body Material: 7075 Aluminum
Rim Material: 303 Stainless Steel
Axle: M4 x 10mm x 0.7mm
Bearing: Size C

Thoughts?

Does anyone know how much a D Bearing and 10 mm axle both weigh?

2 Likes

i was wondering how much different a 4a yoyo would be, specifically the bearing seat. i know the yoyo i have atm (sky dancer) uses a nut and a bolt for the bearing and axel and embeds the response pads in the body as usual, but what about other throws?
Also is there a template like there is a for a 1a throw if they are different

I believe all plastic yo-yos have a metal insert for the axle and inner part of the bearing seat. The response pad area does not need to be as precise so they are not made of metal. I think it depends on the designer whether they want to use a nut and bolt though.

The nut and bolt construction is probably only used on the cheaper injection molded 4a yoyos. Some older yoyofactory models for 1a like replay and protostar use it as well. The more expensive machined 4a yoyos use pretty much the same construction as 1a plastics, except with longer axle and thicker plastic around the center hub for more reinforcement.

1 Like