Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

This is an under-to-mid-sized butterfly shape with a 100% concave cup. Was trying to see if I could get it to an acceptable weight/inertia without making the hub pop out. Had to settle for an 8mm axle though. It landed on 52x52x63g.

I was also trying out an oversized but under-weighted butterfly shape that could take a slim bearing and do stalls. 60x42.43x64g. Not happy with the weight yet, would probably need to go more aggressive on the schmoove ring and just remove a lot of material there. Or, drop it from 10mm axle to 8mm.

11 Likes

More caliper time. I wanted to make renders of a Superwide, so I did.

I changed the cup a bit, but the measurements and weight are real close to the original one.
Fun little afternoon exercise.

7 Likes

Did a wide angle shutter in acrylic, not really a serious design, just to see how it looks. An actual design couldn’t get away with a 10mm axle and nothing else to hold it together. It’d need some brass in there kind of like the 3yo3 Acryllion.

15 Likes

Now this is cool man!!

4 Likes

that looks good

3 Likes

This is a D-bearing 3-in-1 capped yoyo. It looks silly, I know. Just one of those weird dreams I had.

15 Likes

Mark. I would buy the CRAP out of this yoyo. I muttered some not-so-forum-friendly expletives when I saw it. Please for the love of jojos make it.

Edit: also those colors for sure, and what is the third thing that it is?

4 Likes

Pagoda style!

3 Likes

How did you know what size the screw was?

1 Like

Hmmm, basically this is a yoyo you can attach to other Yo-Yos?
You mean like sort of a 3-in-1 chain?

or am I just plain stupid

2 Likes

It looks like the halves can be flipped. Pretty cool to see this in a metal yoyo. QC would be a bit of a nightmare, though.

2 Likes

yeah, no doubt. On the other hand I’ve seen some pretty crazy traditional press-fit ring designs, and I think those are more sensitive to runout/concentricity issues.

Yeah, the idea started as a metal d-bearing no-jive.

2 Likes

I measured it.

1 Like

omg you can chain a ton of these together and smash the “most yoyos spinning at once” record or something lol

1 Like

yeah

1 Like

Mark you are amazing.

3 Likes

Can we see what it looks like in its “looping” form?

4 Likes

maybe a 3-chain looping strung to one fingerloop

2 Likes

You’d be able to do pull start tricks with the bearing posts.

1 Like

you mean like 2nd-gen hubstack? Boy, I would have fun designing custom hubstacks for it

1 Like