"Yoyo Boomer"

Read about 90 comments before I realized it was a necro…but this was a funny thread.

5 Likes

6 months necro? bro i’ve resurrected decade old threads without even realizing it.

3 Likes

The Definition of a “Yoyo Boomer” is what you set for yourself.

Underlying; Positive and Fun. Not “So” Serious.

For some, they played during a Boom,

Others, Played on and Off throughout their life,

Some just like 0A and Modern Responsives,

Play yoyo for the enjoyment.

Pillars of this community.

My Definition is someone who enjoys yoyo for simplicity and personal growth. Being positive in the community. Not being pigeon holed by labels. Supporting others. I am OK with not being able to do the Extensive 1A tricks (Though continuously working toward them).

I, like others, do not feel we need a Mold to fit everyone in. We have an Idealism that many can emulate to their personal level.

I think that is the Beauty of the opening line. “We will set the definition (For ourselves).”

I feel this gives each member a personal sense of “Ownership”. One that we each hold ourselves to a justifiable standard that we establish for ourselves.

Read the first post in this thread.

4 Likes

We will continue to accept members to the Club.

Today is the Deadline to become a Member and be eligible for the “Participation Trophy” event inside the club.

6 Likes

I don’t need to be in the club to play fixed axle feb with y’all tho correct?

3 Likes

Correct!

Fixed Axle February is a Public Community Event. No affiliation is needed.

The Club has an internal Spinoff of the event.

3 Likes

Is this for the fixed axle February event?

1 Like

Short Answer is No.

Long Answer: “Participation Trophy” is an Internal Club Event (For Club Members Only). It is separate from what we will be posting tomorrow for Fixed Axle February. But it does tie into the Public Fixed Axle February Event… runs concurrently with it.

4 Likes

When this thread popped up again, I decided to give it a read again.

Until this thread I have never heard the term Yoyo Boomer. Must be living in a cave.

After reflection I think it’s more of every generation making fun of an older generation. I’m Gen X, when I was young and dumb I now remember referring to people as “Old Heads”.

I didn’t see your question answered about Evan Nagao. My thoughts on why he has never been tagged Yoyo Boomer. What ever has been current with Yo-Yo’s he has been there.

Eventually we all will slow down, our playlists stop adding new and current songs. Our style of yo-yo play becomes stagnant. Either it’s we realize we our bodies have a harder time with muscle memory, or we are totally cool with our tick sets and decide to stay in our lanes.

I think people can sense or recognize when someone is staying in their lane and is comfortable. Evan has never shown that.

Well until his World Champion Title defense. I don’t know about everyone else, I always felt his performance was “mailed in”.

I will end with this question, if some of us are called Yoyo Boomers. 25 years from now what are the players going to be called because they got hooked watching DNA videos?

3 Likes

Only person that can call you a yoyoboomer is you. Until then their words are meaningless.

3 Likes

How I define myself as a yoyo boomer:

• was around for the 90s boom, was actually throwing before it exploded
  • recently interested in older, nostalgic designs from that era, and the 2010s
  • opportunity to see yoyo designs evolve over the years
  • love most responsive even if I struggle with kickflips or shuvits
  • misses seeing yoyos in physical stores that aren’t just your basic butterfly or imperial
  • impulse buys the above basic Duncan’s anyway

I know boomer in general is an insult but I see this as more of a fun approach for any of us why may be nostalgic of our early days of yo whether if it was the 90s boom, NED shows, YYE expert village tutorials with the Dark Magic… List goes on.

2 Likes

I appreciate your drawing so much that I created an account just to let you know that this random internet stranger thinks it’s wonderful.

Also, you chose the perfect trick for it. A+

4 Likes

As someone who attended competitions back in the day when the Boomer I was with could get a silver medal and second place in her age group because she was one of two people competing, I’m finding this very entertaining. It’s amazing how much everything has changed.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Im really glad you enjoyed it. :turtle: :yo-yo:

1 Like

Been following here for a while and didnt realize I was suppose to comment here. Still accepting members? :grimacing:

3 Likes

Try here.

3 Likes