Your favorite yoyo for finger spins

Whoa I gotta see that!

It probably wasn’t 3 minutes even… people really lose sense of time when they’re talking about grinds… like claims for 10-second finger grinds on a blasted aluminum yoyo that nobody has backed up. On a good breakaway (no grind, just a breakaway!) you’d be lucky to hit 3 minutes of spin. The friction of a grind would noticeably impact spin time.

But the Prodigy should be able to hit at least a minute on a good throw. Just like the Prestige. 3 minutes I’d have to see to believe.

Hmm, so far its the sentinel, but i’m making one with a prestige type of hub.

This is the longest fingerspin I’ve ever seen.

I’m with Greg on the 3 minute one though, I’d have to see it to believe it…

I understand completely understand, but I will ask him to do it at a Meeting on Friday. Ill video tape it for all you guys, but it was crazy, but he had a Ceramic, so it definitely wasn’t stock

The bearing doesn’t matter much. Once it’s horizontal and spinning on the dimple, by far the largest factor on spintime will be the friction between the fingernail and the yoyo.

I would have a hard time believing a 3-minute finger spin with a ceramic bearing hubstack.

I clearly need to learn more on finger spins. Teach me, sensei Greg

I find non-blasted surfaces are actually better for finger spins. Your finger is soft, so it needs a blast for finger grinds. Likewise, your fingernail is hard, you need a smooth surface. I prefer throws with a flat surface (ie. a lot of YYR’s), preferably with no engravings. The dimples help to keep the throw on your finger and from straying to the inner cup of the yoyo, however, since it’s rounded to your fingernail, your nail is hitting more surface, slowing the yoyo down. You have to the throw a flat surface throw completely horizontal to be able to be more successful at finger spins. Throw it only tilted, your nail will slide the wall of the inner cup, slowing the yoyo down tremendously. Throwing a yoyo completely horizontal is easier said than done.

TL;DR: Non-blasted or smooth surfaced throws are better for finger spins. If you can throw completely horizontal (or as I like to call it, true horizontal), flat cups are better. If you can’t, dimples will assist you.

Haha! No sensei of finger spins me. As per the post above, I CANNOT get that true horizontal throw for flat-cup fingerspins. I always always end up hitting a “wall” and spinning out.

The Prestige and Prodigy are special cases. Their dimples aren’t meant for catching a horizontal throw and you’d have to have incredible precision and skill to even imagine doing it consistently. However, you can “matador” those yoyos to get a spin going on. Here’s the Prestige using a matador “pull start”; however, you can also throw a breakaway first and then turn it horizontal afterwards.

p-wave