You wake up one day and your collection is gone... you're starting from scratch. Which yoyos are you picking up first?

My answer hasn’t really changed at all, I’d still be happy with three CLYW Boys. Although I’d prefer three Magnolias by a lot now, it doesn’t really matter that much.

The gear doesn’t really change how I play yoyo, and losing my collection would just be such a bummer I wouldn’t want to invest in accumulating any of it again. I’d just buy three of the same yoyo that’s in stock and I know I like a lot and be done with it.

I’d also probably skip getting an Amulette and a Butterfly though, realistically I don’t play 4A or responsive enough to warrant them.

4 Likes
  1. Klondike

2. OD Free Solo

3. OD Panorama

4. Shutter

5. Hybrid Fulvia

3 Likes

Golden Abyss
Krapfen
BIAS
Freehand

2 Likes

Dune
e1ns
Wish
Blizzard
Protostar

2 Likes

Albatross
OG Banshee
Carbine
Ti Triton
Ti Banshee SS

First two are for collection purposes. Last 3 are the players.

5 Likes

Ooh this fun thread. I’ve got updates over my prior answer. Everything is easy to get. Everything is a replacement except the Iceberg.

1. A fixie - def a Duncan Butterfly.
  2. A looping pair - 720s
  3. A modern responsive for freehand - the Origen.
  4. An unresponsive - the Iceberg. I love my Shooting Star and my Monarch, so I’d give this one a try.
3 Likes

The Magicyoyo Katana is seriously the coolest yo-yo I ever got. No doubt about it.

Talking about the G2 Covenant, it plays really well and has this awesome G2 sticker on it. Like, what’s not to love about something so fancy?

But honestly, if I were starting my yo-yo collection from scratch, I’d probably go for a cheaper yo-yo brand, and G2 wouldn’t be my top pick.

Here’s why I’m saying this: Most of the cool stuff they have is only for their special Patreon supporters or for those big-time collectors who want to spend more money on yo-yos made in China, which might not even be that great. It’s like they’re just bringing back old yo-yo models that did well and making a ton of them. But weirdly, people keep buying them. Did you know that the moment you touch a G2 and it’s not some fancy Swirl or Rainbow color, its value drops by like 40%? And their prices at retail are way too high for what you actually get. Why would I need a koozie? It’s kind of annoying when you buy an expensive yo-yo and then the company decides to make all these different versions like AL7 or bi-metal or even Titanium. It’s like, come on, be more original! Take the Banshee for instance, [OG Banshee → AL7 Banshee → 2018 Banshee → 2018 AL7 Banshee → BansheeSS → TiBanshee → Ti Banshee SS → Mini Banshee and probably more versions I’m not even aware of]. They should make cooler and newer designs. From what I’ve read their new yo-yo releases are pretty disappointing and I saw that many people don’t seem to like the Banshee 22. It’s surprising because this new thing was probably sold for over $100, but now it’s being sold for just $40 or even less.

Must be hanging out on places of the internet I don’t see. Or I did something to hurt your feelings, because I’d disagree with everything you just said.

Hope you have a good day :call_me_hand:

14 Likes

1 - Silver Bullet
2 - Ti Triton
3 - NO Jive
4 - Arbiter X
5 - AL7 Banshee 22

I think you just described every for profit business my friend. Replace the names of the products and company with literally anything else we could go yoyo factory with the 888 but honestly swap this to a different vertical all together. Let’s say elf on the shelf that’s just re releasing the same thing and things that go with said thing. Not good enough hasbro Legitimately has released hundreds of versions of the same dozen game’s monopoly and such for decades.

This is a business model. It works. You iterate a few changes and rerelease. Some hit some flop thats just business. Yoyo isn’t a charity even if it’s not a high profit margin industry. I kind of admire the grind jake has put in with building multiple revenue streams and platforms together for his brand.

9 Likes

Hey there, Jake, no hard feelings at all. I really enjoy getting G2s for a fraction of their original price. I kind of collect certain G2 models, and I’ve got a lot of respect for your business. Please correct me if I’m mistaken, but is it true that getting a Swirl or a new model from you is pretty much only possible if I’m a Patreon supporter? It’s just that your company used to be known for offering premium products with really cool and unique colors that were available to everyone. It seems like things have changed a bit. I mean, I still think highly of your company, and I know the G2 enthusiasts might not agree with my criticism (they probably hate me already), but I’m just sharing my honest thoughts. To be completely honest, I think plenty of companies nowadays might offer better value for my money. I recall seeing some Swirl yoyos being sold on yoyoexpert for $60. One Drop, on the other hand, makes their yoyos in the US and they have insanely good QC. Surprisingly, their prices are still quite reasonable. I could understand the G2 $100+ price tag if the yoyos had something really special or if they were very rare limited releases, but I’m not convinced that’s the case. Are you not producing yoyos in China like most other companies? It’s getting difficult for me to keep supporting a brand that seems to only offer its products to Patreon members (especially the good colorways). Honestly, from my point of view, everything about this situation seems like a misuse of money, I only get to purchase a not so special colorway and then if I want to sell and buy something else I’m not even garanteed half what I originally paid. I want to emphasize that I still hold a lot of respect for your work and the designs you create. However, my interest in them has waned. Have a great day!

1 Like

Yeah - I’ll correct it later today. Lots of bad info in here.

5 Likes

I have never played a g2 that wasn’t dead smooth. The finish is always nice and they play like a dream. And even the solid colors look fantastic but the swirls are literal art. Of course they’re expensive and hard to attain. I could be wrong but doesn’t jake anodize all the cool ones by himself?

5 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from, and I agree with your perspective. Many brands might follow similar patterns, but it feels like G2 is revisiting older models far more frequently. While I’m sure their yoyos perform and feel fantastic, I’ve reached a point where I’m hesitant to invest in G2 products unless they offer something truly unique or someone has decided to let go of theirs for really cheap.

Just to add, I actually have a Banshee 22 arriving next week, which I got for just $30. I want to acknowledge and thank those who took the time to read my critique and responded with a laughing emoji. I appreciate that you spent the time to engage with my thoughts. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So back to the thread topic I would add a respawn to my previous answer. :wink:

3 Likes

If I ever lost my collection, the first thing I would try to get would be a dimpled wooden fixie like a Knack, Bloodcell, or Crop Circle. If those aren’t available, I’d probably buy a bunch of these Spingear fixies and try to drill some kind of dimple on my own. They’re cheap and plenty, so there’s lots of room for error. :laughing:
I prefer this over the Legend Wing because it has a slightly slimmer profile, and a thicker axle.

9 Likes

RBC and End 2

Then an Overture and a Weekender

3 Likes

Now in hypothetical land I would probably get a Freehand Nextgen. But in reality I would grab a gun and follow the embedded tracking tag and get mine back.

2 Likes

I wanna know where you got a Banshee for $30? And how beat up is it? Or did you only get half of the yoyo?
Gonna need some answers to this, doesn’t seem right.

1 Like

It’s a mint b-grade. It sat for so long the seller basically offered to let me have it as a $30 add-on. He paid $50 for it second hand so yeah.