You wake up one day and your collection is gone... you're starting from scratch. Which yoyos are you picking up first?

I just got back into yo-yoing so I’d likely buy what I already had minus “regrets” or purchased under situation. Yah I went with what I was familiar with. Always liked imperial type versus butterfly. You guessed it I haven’t even attempted a bind.

My collection…

2 - YYF Loop 360 - I’d replace them doubt if I can get for $3 again.
Duncan Hornet - I’d replace it.
Yomega Fireball - Part of my old collection. Likely would not replace.
Duncan Lime light - Bought it for $3 at a clearance store might buy a light up maybe same or Magic yo-yo D5 Starlight, Spintastic Tornado
Yo-Yo King Merlin - Skip it
Duncan Butterfly XT - Skip it since I doubt if I can get a CLE worlds version.
Duncan Pro-Z - Replace it
Rain City Gamer AL - Probably replace or buy a El Mijo or Daytripper - Some premium slimline

My collection would likely be more likely lost or stolen than other “collectors” since It fits in one box not because its valuable!

3 Likes

One Drop Deep State
MK1/Spinworthy RBC
Zero Gravity El MiJo
MFD/OD Ridgeback
Team Losi Cherry Bomb

4 Likes

Bringing this back, cause I would do it totally different now.

1. Duncan GTR-JS would be my first purchase. It’s readily/easily available most places, and as most of you know I can’t stop raving about it recently - I really do think it’s the best bimetal I’ve ever used/owned.

2. YYF IQ - Also readily available, and would offer me a different feel while still being a stable, dependable bimetal.

3. OD Diorama - Would probably have to hit the BST for this one, but I gotta have it - that and the Panorama are staples of my current collection (I find myself reaching for the Diorama way more though).

4. Beater? - May or may not have to find one on the BST depending on stock, but it would scratch my organic itch really well.

5. Nats Freehand - This thing is crazy fun to toss around and not think. Would be a nice change of pace.

I feel like these 5 would be a GREAT way to start a collection up again, and offers different a few different “feels.” Anyone else’s change since their last post?

12 Likes

I would start by purchasing two yoyos. Each month after that I would keep the yoyo I like best and trade or sell the other yoyo for a replacement.

4 Likes

Yoyofactory I.Q.

3 Likes

Yessir… I’d still hunt for a Top Deck, but instead of buying a Legendary Terrarian and FH1, I’d just split the difference and get an Intro.

I got my Intro a couple months ago and I love it. Just throwing it and binding is satisfying and it performs well enough for my skill level. It feels very similar to the FH1 to me except it’s, ya know, a One Drop.

I’d still get the others eventually, but maybe hold out for a cool colorway on a restock. Oh, I’d also look for a First Base. Gotta have one of those.

3 Likes

The Cherry Bomb. Yes. Wouldn’t crack my top 5, but it might be #6.

1. YYR Draupnir (yup; I said it…)
  2. JT Shaqshine Ti
  3. YYR Onslaught
  4. YYR Original Sleipnir
  5. TP Mustang

I would not rest until I tracked my missing Ti-Walker down.

5 Likes
  1. Few and Far Between Inception
  2. MCMO
  3. Weekender
  4. PockeHt
  5. M1 for edc
3 Likes

First 3 that come to mind: General Yo Prestige, Markmont Classic, One Drop Legendary Terrarian. MMC has been a long favorite of mine, the Prestige is a Organic V with a lot of power, and the Legendarian is one of the best/smoothest W throws I’ve ever had.

2 Likes

Mine has (perhaps unsurprisingly) changed a bit. I’d hunt a Tone, a GTR-JS, a M+ and a Socius.

2 Likes

Maybe I wouldn’t replace any and just live the life I had before I found Yoyo in 2015. I went without a television set from 1992 - 2006 and did not miss it one single bit.

2 Likes

I don’t think I could get my collection back again, not that I have anything super rare but one of the yoyo’s that I love the most is hard to find, BBYY wedgie, and that’s like my favorite out of every single throw I own because it was made me excited to throw again after I got it, it’s my beater, and my prized possession.

2 Likes
  1. Freehand one plastic - never owned an original or played with one back in the day, but I’m kinda mad at myself for not getting one, I was on the yoyojam train at the time. This freehand hits me right in the sweet spot for a relatively cheap yoyo that plays amazing and i won’t cry about dinging it ( still would get 2 and half swap to have a matching backup in case the molds break again…)

2. freehand one AL SB - , keeps the old-school small bearing and feels like a solid notch up from the plastic but not a trailer queen you’d never play with for fear of damage ( maybe reserve it for indoors over carpets?), plays great, I’d throw the KK A size bearing in it too.

3. freehand one AL - same as above but updated to c bearings which is another plus, I like the slim c for semi responsive without needing much lube and it comes with a clean konkave for full unresponsive if you are so inclined…

4. butterflyXT - fun to flick around, humble yoyo anyone could pick up and start playing. and I can probably find one in a walmart, target or similar. I like it for learning 0A, just keep it lubed up ( its a full size c but it is recessed in the halves for a narrower string gap instead of a half spec c.)

5. some kind of wood butterfly fixie, preferably a tk 3 in 1, bc apollo, or if i got insanely lucky an eh. but probably a legend wing would be readily available.

3 Likes

1 - Albatross. First design G2 made. Gotta be in the collection.

2 - Banshee 22 Proto - just fits for me right now.

3 - Carbine - big fun yoyo that hits all my right feels for play

4 - no Jive - I mean, you just gotta have one in the collection.

5 - Luna - haven’t gone more than 2 days without tossing once since finalizing the design.

5 Likes

This is a fun thought experiment. I’d probably focus on trying new things rather than simply replacing what I lost, and I’m easily swayed by things with fun colors.

1. A fixie. Probably try to find a TK No Jive. They seem to be available on the ‘bay if you throw money at them.
  2. A looper. I’d love to try something new, but I don’t know that you can improve on the Loop 720. I’d only buy one at first because I’m not really able to two hand yet.
  3. A plastic unresponsive with fingerspin hub. A POM Mojo or a Speedaholic XX, whichever had colors I preferred.
  4. A metal unresponsive. Probably an OD Intro or a Recess Joyride.
  5. A 5a responsive. I really want a Pop Art or an OD Deep State, whichever I can find.
3 Likes

Duracraft ProYo - all time fav. I can’t look at this yo-yo without feeling good about the sport.
OD VTWO - just a solid yo-yo
OD Deep State - after a decades long hiatus from throwing, I just assumed responsives had plateaued. Wow was I wrong. This is a major upgrade from anything I was using in the early 2000s.
MMC - I just got this one, but it surpasses most of my other throws and I know it has staying power
General Yo 5 Star - I think of it as a fullback: powerful, stable, and glass smooth.

Edit: added reasons.

2 Likes

I created a spreadsheet of all the mentioned yo-yos in this thread to see which ones are the most popular. Here are some stats I found interesting.

Total mentions of yo-yos thus far (some duplicates, of course): 287

Top 3 most popular manufacturers in this thread:
-YoYoFactory (39 yoyos mentioned)
-Duncan (31)
-One Drop (30).

Top 3 most popular yo-yos in this thread:
-Duncan Freehand (15 mentions of various versions (1, AL, etc.))
-Tom Kuhn 3-In-1 No Jive (8 mentions, including the Clean Machine version)
-Tied for 3rd, all with 6 mentions: Doc Pop Weekender, Spinworthy + Mk1 Red Blood Cell, & One Drop Deep State (including 1 Proto)
-Tied for 4th (5 mentions): A-rt Furn, Markmont. Classic, & YoYoFactory Loop 720.
-Tied for 5th place (4 mentions): Anti-Yo YWET, CLYW Boy, Dressel Designs 5050, Duncan Butterfly XT, One Drop Panorama, YoYoFactory Edge 2022, YoYoFactory IQ.
-Tied for 6th place (3 mentions): CLYW Chief, Core Concepts Yoyos Alleycat, Duncan Butterfly, Duncan Grasshopper GTX, Duncan GTR-JS, Spinworthy KNack, YoYoFactory 888 (3 variations), Yoyofriends x Damian Pucket Alliance, & Yoyorecreation Gopa.

Other notes: besides the TK No Jive, the other most popular fixies are the Spinworthy KNack (3 mentions), the Ed Haponik x TMBR PockeHt (2), and the SPYY x TMBR EH (2).

Hope you find that interesting :slight_smile:

Edit: added 5th and 6th places, a GTX and Deep State Proto I missed, and total # of yo-yos mentioned thus far.

15 Likes

Wow, this is awesome! Thanks for doing that, this is super interesting. I’m surprised that the most mentioned yoyos are mostly all responsive - I totally would’ve thought it would be the other way around - fascinating.

2 Likes

Right? I was surprised by that too. Probably because there are fewer options with responsives and people may have felt obligated to include one in their five.

5 Likes