http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-20932173485367_2107_631852

Yomega Kerrari
Weight: 65.6 grams
Diamter: 54.356 mm
Width: 37.846
Bearing: ABEC 7
Finish:  Black/Red Anodize with Beadblasting
Image and information by Yomega

EDIT: If anyone plans to get this yoyo, please know that the finishing is very rough and needs sanding to prevent string breaks.  I tried using denim, but it was not abrasive enough.  Sanding is needed in the outer edge of the pad recessed due to a sharp corner.  After doing this, no more string breaks :slight_smile:

First impressions
The Kerrari came in wrapped in a sealed plastic bag put in a black,small, paper box that seemed to be to small for it.  Included in the box, was an maintenance manual and an extra set of pads.  This if the first yoyo by yomega to use a true sticker/pad recess and response, very exciting.  I pulled the Kerrari out of it s tight home and ripped open the plastic bag to reveal the yoyos.  First thing that came to mind when holding the yoyo was disgust.  The beadblasting was done, but it was much to rough.  To give an idea of its roughness, i took my finger and rubber the surface lightly to see examine and it began to leave a residue of dead skin.  attached to the yoyo was an orange polyester string.  The Kerrari has one through some laser engraving designed by Rob Kitts.  Surprisingly, it was void of any yomega logo and name.  The engravings look very clean but a bit plain.  The red half was actually a very nice shade while the black half was the color similar to a black chalkboard.  The anodizing was done very well, even and free of blemishes.

Pros:
[list]

• Pad Response
  • Poly string
  • Great Color
  • Clean Laser Engraving

Cons:

• Horrible finish
  • Plain Laser Evgraving
  • Poor packaging

Guts:
After the initial inspection, I opened her up and checked out the guts.  The pads sat flush to the yoyo and set very close to the bearing.  It actually looked like a very good set-up.  The recess is actually the same as the 2010 FH2 Checking the profile of the half, I saw that the response area was kept to a minimum.  Once the pad recessed finished, there was a small, about a mm, flat area around the pad recess.  After that, the yoyo started to flow out to create the butterfly gap.  Also, there was a slight stepped design from the initial slope out of the response area to the rest of the body.  This actually helps reduce string friction  and elongates the life of a single throw.  Also, judging from the feel, it helps push more weight out  onto the rims to increase stability.

I am happy to say that the Kerrari uses a C size bearing.  Yomega also eliminated the use of spacers and machined a bearing seat.  From examination, i would see that this yoyo was made to put the least amount of weight on the center body of the yoyo.  The lip which lifts the bearing seat away from the yoyo to allow free spins was barely noticeable but does its job.  The lip separating the bearing from the response was also very short, but deep enough to prevent slippage.  This virtually utilized the entire bearing width for the gap width.

Examining the entire area revealed a crucial flaw, the inside of the yoyo was not masked during the horrible beadblasting.  Expect string breakage.  The axle is also decently sized, but it is a floating axle which would need some tuning.

Pros:

• Standard bearing (C sized)
  • Recessed pad response (Same as 2010 Duncan FH2)
  • Machined bearing seat
  • Slight stepped design

Cons:

• Unmasked response area

Comfort
Aside from the beadblasting, the yoyo is quite comfortable to hold.  The corners are rounded and it sports a classic.  At a diameter of over 54 mm, this would fit in with mid sized throws.  I am more accustomed to undersized throws with about a 50-51 mm diameter, but getting used to this size wasn’t difficult.

Play:
This thing feels much heavier than 65.6 grams.  It was evident that the majority of the mass was located on the rims.  The kerrari is smooth, but it did have a hint of vibe on the string near the yoyo.  I tried to test  the vibe on grinds, but the yoyo flew up my arm much to quickly.  I went through one of my easy combos with ease, but the Kerrari seemed to slow down faster than my others.  No need to bind, the bearing is lubed to accommodate beginners.  I starting to play very sloppily to test its stability and help up well, but it does fall out of alignment easily as it loses spin. Also, every time the Kerrari hit anything, it would dramatically lose spin due to the high friction caused by its finish.  The pads did well and provided a non intrusive, yet tight bind.

After throwing a few times, I checked the string, and it was getting chewed up and easily snapped with a sharp tug.  The rest of the string looked barely used.

Pros:

• Stable
  • Rim Weighted

Cons:

• Slightly shorts spin times
  • Dramatic decrease upon impacts
  • String killer

Modifictions
At this point, I was very disappointed with the Kerrari, so I decided to try and improve the stock yoyo.

• Cleaned bearing
  • Silicone response
  • Wore down the beadblasting using a sock

Play after maintenance
The surface of the yoyo was now similar to a chalkboard.  Grinds are available now, but last one a few seconds at most.  Thumb grind is possible, but it is difficult to maintain due to the lack of a IRG lip.  The slight vibe is present on the string and on grinds, but I believe it can be tuned by centering the axle.  The bearing spins very well after cleaning, but now the yoyo makes a small ringing during play, but it is a bit deceiving.  Usually, the ringing dampens a bit as the yoyo nears the end of its spin, but this one seems to stay constant.  Paired with the stability of the Kerrari, I can’t accurately gauge the time I have left before binding.  Also note that softening the bead blast increases spin time and reduces string wear.

Pros:

• Stable
  • Long spin times
  • Tight binds
  • Grindable (as well as an anodize only yoyo)

Cons:

• Lack of an IRG lip

Final thoughts
So this yoyo was 45 USD directly from yomega.  Is this yoyo worth its price tag?  Yes.  It does take a bit of tweaking to bring out its potential, but this is a great yoyo at a great price. [/list][/list][/list]

You listed poly string twice, isn’t that cheating? Rob kits is nice, his one handed bucket trick is pretty cool. Btw it yomega extremely old, or very new? Anyways, (aside from cheating) that was a very good reveiw.

I like the sounds of this yoyo, sweet review I like the extra bits you threw in there about the matinence you did to the stock yoyo.

Ok, you said “This is the first yoyo by yomega to use a true sticker/pad recess and response”. This is not true, The Ooch Smoove also has the pad recess, but other than that great review.

but didn’t yomega only distribute the ooch yo’s? I don’t think they made them.

I just checked their site and both of these are Yomega/Rohody-O.

Yeah, made by Rhody-O; distributed by Yomega.

Eh, sigh…I missed the detail about this being a Rhody-o production. Never the less good buy.

Very nice review.
My friend wanted to get one of these but he never did … hm.