Yo-yos that lived up to the hype, surpassed your expectations, or fell short of them

Recently got the CLYW Akita. Wasn’t as I expected, and I’m conflicted how much better it is versus what I was expecting.

With the bi-metal, I think it spins naturally slower, but it’s stability is ridiculous, and even with a slower spin (compared to Tenyoyo throws that I have), it spins for a really long time. With how wide it is and it’s stupid high stability, I’m finding doing/learning tricks easier.

7 Likes

Lived up to the hype: Grasshopper GTX

Surpassed expectations: Dominator

Fell short: Cadence

Technically I should put the Ti-Vayder on the Fell Short list because no yoyo could live up to the hype that surrounded it. However, it is too good to be put in a category that implies disappointment. I was most definitely not disappointed by it.

9 Likes

Just wanted to add that I did not I think it was a bad yo-yo, because it was dead smooth and really well-made. Just not my cup of tea.

2 Likes

I also agree, but only in the sense that the AL7 Banshee is my least favorite of the five. And really only because of its weight.

3 Likes

Yoyos that lived up to the hype: shutter, draupnir

Yoyos that surpassed the hype: Sengoku Nobubaga, YoYoWorkshop Cthulhu

Yoyos that let me down: SF Bliss and Cadence, G2 Marvel, pretty much any ILYY (I’ve tried most of them)

5 Likes

Weekender. I’ve been learning mostly on a Deep State and wanted something closer to normal size and shape. The Weekender is expensive for a responsive, but it is exactly what I wanted. I had high expectations because of the price, and they have been met.

5 Likes

Lived up to hype: C3 Berserker Max

Surpassed expectations: Edge Ultimatum

Fell short: Skyva

6 Likes

You’re probably the biggest reason I would consider getting a Sengoku. I’m always seeing you post tricks with them on IG.

5 Likes

Sengoku yoyos are performance machines (except for the ECRIM, which performs but falls squarely into “let’s do it because we can” territory. That said, I was one of the guys who told @NeoHamster I would buy a prototype of that design because I thought it would be wild. It is 100% wild.

He also has crazy high standards, I have a B-grade Hideyoshi which plays as smooth or smoother than some A-grades I own.

Will they make you a better yoyoer? No, only practice does that. Will they eliminate the question “is the yoyo holding me back?” Absolutely.

9 Likes

It’s sort of like OneDrop for me. Nothing I’ve seen so far really calls to me. They have some designs I like but not the specs to match.

The Samurai is probably the most appealing to me. The width doesn’t bother me, it’s not much more than a WA. But that shape and SS ring placement is so odd. I’m skeptical of how much stability and power the SS ring provides with that placement.

4 Likes

Lived up. The grail is the yo-yo I probably hyped up the most and it is all I ever dreamed of.

Above and beyond. 420 and quail. I thought they would be fun novelty throws not something I would grab all the time.

Fell short. Oh so many. Anything I have traded I guess. The one I remember the most is the 401k. I saved for so long as a kid for it. It just so lacking. I couldn’t like the 5000qv either and I tried so hard.

8 Likes

Same with me on the 5000QV. Also happened with the MMC. Then again I tend to like the more forgotten ODs like the SK.

5 Likes

was not a fan of the 5000qv either.

4 Likes

Do you who don’t like the qv like the og? Never tried and wonder if I should.

1 Like

My take on the Samurai is the weight ring placement gives it the spin power of a bimetal but the speed of a light mono metal. The width really doesn’t seem as large because the catch zone is a few mm more narrow. Samurai feels faster than any other bimetal I’ve played. Changes direction very quick.

If you can ever make it to A2Z yoyo school or yoyo club, give me some notice and I will bring mine for you to try. (Apologies if you aren’t in western MA, I thought you were)

3 Likes

I’m close enough. Do they still have the equivalent of DogBite? Yoyo school is a rough time investment, I have a slightly over an hour drive and it’s only an hour.

I used to do DogBite all the time years ago. I don’t think they call it that now, but it’s the once a month more extensive meet.

3 Likes

I have similar drive time. They still do Dogbite, but, I’m not sure that is the official name anymore. It had been at Mill 180 Park in Eastworks. I will look into what is going on for 2020

3 Likes

Another that surprised me, was the iYoyo 2. Its profile shape is not something I normally would have gravitated toward. But it’s an excellent yoyo, and I have zero complaints about it.

2 Likes

The Kuntosh didn’t surpass my expectations so much as it defied them. I didn’t expect to like the shape or the width, and yet it surprised me with how fast and nimble and powerful it was. It’s third on my list of favorite One Drop models.

5 Likes

Yoyo that lived up to the hype for me was the vayder. Very good and fun throw. Edgeless too. So good but kinda seems forgotten about now because its yyf. my favorite organic of this year by far (except for the 5star, ily). Im also really excited to try the symphonius or however you spell it, but have to wait 1 more day :rage::rage::rage:

Yoyo that surpassed hype for me is definitely the puff adder. Not even saying it because im sponsored by them. If you took every reticulated throw and put them in front of me before I was sponsored the puff adder wouldve been the last on my list, its everything I didn’t think I would enjoy. But its actually my favorite yoyo by far right now. Its not a performance beast, but it has this really special and fun feel that is hard to really pin down. I havent even been playing my organics because the puff adder just blows everything else I have away for pure fun.

Also want to throw in the VI IX here because that throw is super underrated/appreciated because it was made in china, but is my favorite art besides maybe the dk.

Yoyo that didnt live up to the hype for me: idk, this is a tough one. I was really excited to try the beartrap when it came out but just didnt enjoy it. Thats true for a lot of clyws stuff since I came back to the community. I also used to despise the MMC but since ive put a centering bearing in it it feels so much better. I guess id have to put the grail in there too, I really didnt like it.

8 Likes