Yo-yos that lived up to the hype, surpassed your expectations, or fell short of them

What yo-yo have you purchased that lived up to the hype you had for it? You thought it was going to be great and it was.

For me, it’s gotta be the Butter. I was incredibly hyped for it and it did not disappoint

What about one that surpassed your initial expectations?

This was the Ti Wide Angle. I was expecting to like it at least but was nervous due to the changes to the body. I also have very limited experience with Titanium, I had never thrown any full size Ti before. But the twingle Twangle little star is fantastic.

Also, what’s one yo-yo that you were excited for that ended up disappointing you?

Harder to answer this but I have to say the C3 Initiators. It was such a better experience switching to Sunrises.

Excited to see people’s responses here.

17 Likes

Statement doesn’t resonate with me as much as it does with the rest of the community, idk why not.

I feel like the BFF is a million times better than the community says it is.

8 Likes

2018 AL7 Banshee.
That thing is a rocket fueled beast!

Basecamp Navigator.
I got it on sale and wasn’t expecting it to wow me from reviews I’ve watched and opinions I’ve read.
I wasn’t expecting it to be bad though either.
It took my breath away when I opened it…the color is absolutely beautiful and is SO much nicer in person.
And it’s such a nice solid throw. I genuinely love it and am super glad to have it in my collection.

Duncan Mayhem.
I was expecting to absolutely love this thing.
Organics just aren’t my thing as it turns out.
I expect as my skill increases my appreciation for organics will grow.

6 Likes

Dominator. Great throw. Not sure what I was expecting but everyone who has one seems to love it so I was hopeful and it really didn’t disappoint.

Alta. Didn’t know what to expect from it. It was a bit of an indulgent impulse buy during Black Friday. I wanted to take a chance on it since it was passed up on and overshadowed. And I’ve been loving it so far. I just keep reaching for it.

Also, Ti-Shee. I really took a chance on this one. I wasn’t a huge fan of some of the ti throws I’ve tried. Both the Ti-Dream and Ti-Shutter felt a little too light for me. Meanwhile the 2018 Banshee didn’t click with me. Took a chance banking on the possibility of recouping the cost on the BST if I didn’t take to it. And I gotta say that @G2_Jake really nailed it. Hands down my favorite Ti and my favorite monometal of 2019.

Oof. There have been a few.

Silenus. Isn’t bad but I don’t get all the hype about it. I prefer the Meta to it.

2018 Banshee line sans Ti (AL6, AL7, SS) - Something about them just didn’t click for me. I suspect that I’ll pick them up at some point in the future and get it but rn they don’t see much play. Much prefer the weight of the Ti.

11 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever tried a YYF that I didn’t like on some level. My track record with all my purchases from them this year makes me want to try even more from them. At some point I’d like to try something from the Edge line.

5 Likes

One that lived up to the hype: Markmont Classic

One that surpassed my expectations: Parlay

One that fell short of my expectations: Shutter. Oh and The Gamer by Rain City Skills.

8 Likes

Gamer has always been too heavy by 3g sadly.

3 Likes
  • Lived up to the hype: vayder.

• Surpassed expectations:
    – Yoyofficer Vector: Just a lovely yoyo to play with. Pleasantly wide and maneuverable. It was for a really long time my favorite yoyo of all time.
    – YYF Bimetal Superstar: people talked mad crap about this one, calling it all sorts of things, like the steel ring was small and ineffective. I absolutely love that yoyo. If any of you guys have one in good condition you’re willing to sell at a reasonable price, I’ll gladly take if off your hands.
    – OD Gauntlet: It’s the most sporty organic I’ve played with.

• Fell short:
    – Fallen44 Sixth Sense: that yoyo did look amazing but boy that is the sketchiest fixie I’ve ever played. I just cannot stand a fixie that doesn’t spin reasonably smooth.

11 Likes

Grail lived up to the hype for me. It was as people said it was, the ultimate experience In organics in my opinion.

The Grasshopper GTX really surprised me. I was expecting a solid yoyo, but I was blown away by it. Honorable mention goes to Dire Wolf.

The AL7 Banshee wasn’t what I was hoping for. It totally performed well, but I think the shape just wasn’t something I enjoyed catching. I’m sure other people find it more comfortable than me.

8 Likes

Completely agree with both of these! The Superstar is great…and I’m surprised to learn anyone’s had anything negative to say about it!
And though organics aren’t my thing…I love my Gauntlet! I like it much more than I like my Mayhem.

4 Likes

Lived up to the hype - vayder. It’s pretty much perfect in my opinion.

Surpassed hype - og kuntosh. Literally nothing about that yoyo’s specs appealed to my tastes. The diameter, the side effects, the width, and good grief that profile — boy was I humbled. It’s in my top 5.

Fell short - al7 banshee. Love the way it looks, love the spikes, love the blast finish, love g2jake :heart: — I just did not like the banshee nearly as much as I had expected. That was a hype that accumulated for over 1.5 years too.

9 Likes

A bit surprised at how many agree with this.
Am interested to see how many others add to this list!

I love my AL7 Banshee.

10 Likes

I would have to sat the Markmont Classic, especially the Nickel plated. It absolutely lives up to the hype in so many ways. I did edit this to also add the Ti-Vayder. I have all three colors and they are a superior all around go anywhere type throw. I enjoy the fit and feel as well as the performance.

I would have to say the Swamp Monster. I bought the copper and green swampy color (can’t remember the name). I really bought it for the looks, I bought an EDC version because it is so darn good. I would have to also add to that the Batsquatch. @Tobygroberts PDX-Yo has really created some great throws.

This one I just don’t know. I can’t think of one. There are alot that just aren’t what I thought they would be. But not sure I’m dissapointed, just don’t love them. I’m sure if I really sat and went through some I would find a few.

8 Likes

G2 Banshee SS, MK1 Diffraction v2, Yoyofriends Dove

SF Cadence ES & SF Motive
But mainly the Cadence ES

Edge Beyond & Edge Beyond 66% (or the lack there of lol)

9 Likes

life - little red riding hoods just right porridge. size, stability… everything i was expecting

vi ix - this was one that was described as underrated, and it is. love it. smooooooth.

manatee - i couldn’t lose this fast enough. too wide for the size. gaaggh, i hated it… but that’s me

9 Likes

Lived up: One Drop Sugar Glider, even for a budget throw, OD does it right.
Surpassed: Puff Adder, but not right away. Took about a week for me to realize it was the only thing I was throwing anymore. A true jack-of-all trades that does what I want it to without any fuss. And @ReticNeil is great!
Fell Short: SF PLSTC. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great throw, it’s just not to my tastes. I really want to love it, I just don’t.

Hon. Mentions:
Lived up: Thesis Serenade
Surpassed: TopYo Mojo, I wasn’t expecting much for $14, but it’s my go-to poly.

9 Likes

Lived up to the hype: Throw Cafe Boba.
exceeded: Sengoku Samurai
fell short: OG Alleycat Not that it is a bad yoyo, it just took too much of my effort to get it to play the way I wanted it to play. Granted, I had some pretty particular wants, and, was able to get it there most of the time.

7 Likes

I love my allycat but i have to agree that response is a massive pain in the behind.

4 Likes

The Ti-Vayder. I was in the “titanium can’t be any better than a regular aluminum” club. But boy titanium done right is a beautiful thing.

Yoyobrothers Voyage. That was disturbing. I got my first bimetal and loved it. But then I got the voyage in a trade and it changed everything. I was just happy it was a bimetal. I didn’t expect it to be so dang good!!!

Tough to say. I don’t think the yo-yo disappointed me as much as I disappointed myself. I’d see a teaser image and immediately I’ll tell myself “that’s going to be fast!” Or “that’ll be stable!” Instead I’d see that it’s a very laid back yo-yo or maybe it’s not enough rim weight for my liking. Getting it wrong is what hurts haha.

7 Likes

Fun idea for a thread!

Lived up to the hype: Dominator. I think Zslane was probably the main person hyping it, so I don’t know that it had excessive hype. But, it impressed me right away and has become one of my absolute favorites.

Surpassed: Banshee SS. I didn’t hear much buzz about it, even after it was in the wild for a bit. So, I assumed it was underwhelming. Wow, it blew me away on first throw and continues to impress me as perhaps the new performance benchmark.

Fell short: Draupnir. I got it a couple of years ago before the latest crop of performance bimetals. So, it was still considered the creme de la creme. Even aside from the snaggy response (especially with the stock IR pads), it never really clicked with me. Obviously there are many more skilled throwers that esteem it highly.

11 Likes