Yo-yo unit and storage

Got it from IKEA, called the Alex.

Each drawer is a little higher than the diameter of my widest yo-yo so they all fit perfectly!!!

I don’t recommend this at all unless you have an actual good cutting tool to use. I’ve tried to use a similar material for a case and it was a nightmare to cut in any kind of consistent way. It’s way too soft and spongy, it was so hard to cut at all. I was extremely dissatisfied with the results and felt like I wasted my time.

2 Likes

Even more reason to get the anti slip mat that Pun1sh3R recommended than the foam bed.

3 Likes

I’ve made a couple of different cases using different density foam, what I found that works best is a 2" (50mm for you metric folks) without the drill In a cordless drill running backwards.

7 Likes

FWIW, I used those perforated foam rubber drawer liners that I think I saw Doc Pop used, but it did discolor a wood yoyo (see spots on the spin gear fixie). Metal doesn’t seem affected though. I bet it would affect plastic too now that I think about it.

2 Likes

That’s good to know. Thank you

Ended up buying 36x36 felt sheets and cutting them slightly larger than the drawers. Have to open them carefully so everything doesn’t rattle and move around, but so far so good and a great storage space!!

Thanks everyone!

12 Likes

Beautiful.

1 Like

Even tho @Bobparty already found a solution I wanted to chime in for anyone’s future reference. DO NOT buy memory foam, it’s incredibly difficult to cut and won’t give you clean lines.

This foam was recommended to me by another forum member as it’s perfect and relatively easy to cut. I’ve purchased it to make a few wall display cases and I can confirm it’s great and VERY high quality.

Get the 2" thickness (they only sell large quantities, so you’ll receive a pretty big sheet of this stuff - but you’ll need it to fill those drawers) and then use a bread knife to cut the dimensions of the drawer, and then a an empty tomato paste can to press holes into the foam wherever you want them.

6 Likes

Oh yeah, after what Mable said I decided against it cause they said their experience wasn’t good cutting it, so I should probably remove the link instead of leaving it up there in case someone looks at this thread in the future.

3 Likes

Link?

1 Like

I linked it in my post…

That’s a really good idea to cut to shape.