Yo-yo science experiment challenge: how much does your string stretch in play?

just to be clear; i casually threw instead to see how much my string would stretch on average. i also recorded how long i threw in those 3 days.

before

after

i used the r2fg 60/40 poly/cotton blend that @codinghorror sent me for the contest. i dont use different types of strings at once, i usually just use what i have. so ill probably be using these strings for awhile. the difference in the two strings is about 6 cm . i also got an average of 60 minutes of throwing a day, which i would say is pretty average to me. this means that every five minutes of throwing with this string for me, the string stretches half a centimeter.

6 Likes

Very good, can you do one last test? Take another string and stretch it using your hands… how much does it stretch, compared to the ones above?

3 Likes

not much… here it is with the untouched string.
the difference is only about 2 cm. i dunno if im just weak lol

1 Like

Hey guys just a lil update. I finished testing an Airetic and a homemade fuzzy nylon (thank you @smittylube). The final stretch test will be using one of @smileypants707 nylon/poly whites (thanks Mr. Pants for the donation to our noble cause.) Working a split shift today so fingers crossed, results maybe posted by end of day.

4 Likes

Ok guys, the long awaited results of my stretch science involving fuzzy ‘premium’ nylons. The test samples were an Airetic neurotic and a custom job from the hands of @smittylube. Both strings were played for approx 4-5 hours each, I tried to play as hard as possible to achieve maximum stretch that would occur naturally, which is to say I did not just pull them really really hard. So here we go:
This is the Airetic at the beginning, not prestretched.AireticStart and after several hours of play AireticStop
Now @smittylube’s fuzzy nylon from start to finish:SmittyStart SmittyStop
So, as we can see, both strings stretched a good 3 inches. I switched between a Marco, a MYY N12, and a Topyo Meta while testing. And it should be noted that Airetic does warn that their strings ‘play a little long’, so I think it safe to say this is what they mean. Thanks everyone for your patience, if anyone wants to know more just ask me. Oh and avg temp during testing was 68F with humidity averaging 42%.

3 Likes

those strings look SO GOOD

1 Like

They play really well too. The fuzzy nylons are my favorite, very soft and slick. @smittylube sent me some samples of his homespun threads that I think are on par with Airetic. However, Smiley’s got a nice nylon/poly blend string, and Zipline’s are my favorite as far as straight poly goes.

3 Likes

I need to try more strings.
I have tried the Zipline KC24 string though, i like it , but i like kitty 1.5 better and i find that weird.

1 Like