New string?

When putting on a new string, do you give it about a 10 second pull to take the stretch out of it before adjusting the length or just put it on and adjust it as is?

2 Likes

Nah man, I need that mf bounce :basketball::basketball::basketball:

3 Likes

If I feel no bounce or stretch in a string is when I feel like I need to change it. Working graveyard at a hospital has me very anxious about strings though since the last thing I want is to wake everyone up chasing a screaming aluminum throw! :smile:

4 Likes

I got in the habit of stretching my strings after I tried nylons for the first time and now I do it for poly too.

It’s gonna stretch out anyway from playing it, so it makes sense to just do it in the first place so the string doesn’t get longer and start slamming into the floor. I also feel like it helps with torsion, but that could be a placebo effect.

2 Likes

I guess it depends on what you are going for. I know a lot of yo-yo competitors stretch their string like you mentioned, but I also think just simply playing with it stretches it out more naturally, that way the original string length you prefer doesn’t become too long for yourself.

I have been rocking @MattB aka YoYoStringlab strings since 2014, and have had no issues nor have stretched my strings lol

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

i don’t stretch the strings prior to play. when i’m putting the new string on, I let the throw sit on the floor and i’ll gently pull a little to take a bit of the stretch into account while setting the string length. then i tie it, cut it and play it. within a few throws (with Bad Wolfe Co strings) the bounciness subsides. so, i guess i personally don’t see the need but that’s me. i’m certainly no pro and your own preferences are what is important in this matter. as long as we’re throwing, there’s really no wrong way to do it.

enjoy the throw my friends.
kgb

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, I tried not stretching a string at all and played with it throughout the morning. That string is about 4 inches (10cm) longer now.

2 Likes

Is that longer than you normally play? I’d be worried I might be slamming into the ground.

Haha yea, I started out at my normal length and grazed the floor a couple times as it got longer. No worries though, just carpet.

2 Likes

Carpet is my perfered playground :slightly_smiling_face:

I think for know I will give them a lite stretch until I gain more control. I have some throws that I don’t mind if they get dinged up, just try not to if I can help it.

2 Likes

I do a super, SUPER light stretch for 10 seconds, just pull until it becomes a loose-taught, not tight. Essentially just to get out the biggest part of the bounce, but not stretch out the poly.

1 Like

I always stretch! Hate when my string gets longer over time. Plays better when stretched imo

3 Likes

I just factor in the amount of stretch that usually happens when I set my string length. So it plays short for a few throws and then stretches to where I like it.

I actually never thought of pre-stretching my string before.

Ivan

i’ve never really noticed this so i don’t worry about tugging it

2 Likes

I only pre-stretch nylon and poly/nylon blends. Pure poly doesn’t seem to stretch very much so no need imo. It certainly wouldn’t hurt anything if you wanted to stretch all strings though.

1 Like