I’ve completely my personal experiment! Here’s the rundown:
I tested the stretch of three different strings: YYSL Ammo, Kitty Fat, and Kitty Nylon (Fat). YYSL Ammo was used with my SF L (a very not good idea, I forgot that Ammo is thicc), Kitty Fat was used on my Unparalleled Abuction, and Kitty Nylon was used on an old YYF CZM8.
- I started the started the strings at the 1 inch mark on the tape measure for accuracy, so subtract 1 from any length you see in pictures.
- The order of individual pictures will always be Ammo, Kitty Fat, Kitty Nylon.
- I played with each yoyo for at least 3 hours. I got pretty close to my changing point for my Kitty strings, so I feel like this was a good stopping point, when taking into account the lifetime of the string.
- Results may vary!! Measuring new string without stretching can be relatively inconsistent.
- The results section will be separated into three categories: Raw, Looped, and Stretched. The Raw section measures the string before the loop is tied. The Looped section measured the looped string. The Stretched section measured the played string.
- For the Looped and the Stretched sections, I am measuring from the bottom of the string to the bottom of the tied loop.
- There will be a final table at the bottom for a concise data display.
As you will see in the following photos, the string is not completely straight, so I am including an uncertainty of ± 0.25 inches for each measurement.
- Ammo = 45.5 ± 0.25 inches
- Kitty Fat = 50.25 ± 0.25 inches
- Kitty Nylon = 50.25 ± 0.25 inches
The looped string was stretched a bit, as I had to tie the loop tight. I am however keeping the same uncertainty, as I feel the amount I stretched the string while tying to be negligible.
- Ammo = 42.5 ± 0.25 inches
- Kitty Fat = 43.25 ± 0.25 inches
- Kitty Nylon = 42.85 ± 0.25 inches
The string has stretched significantly, so I am reducing the uncertainty to ± 0.1 inches.
- Ammo = 45.8 ± 0.1 inches
- Kitty Fat = 46.25 ± 0.1 inches
- Kitty Nylon = 45.55 ± 0.1 inches
Data (in inches):
My data definitely lines up with my observations during play. As the hours progressed, I noticed that the Ammo string was the most bouncy, and the Nylon the least, which would likely translate into their respective ability to stretch. I suggest you all to also try this to see what you guys get and how it differs! Also, I think the best follow-up to this experiment is to see if stretching the string beforehand will prevent the string from stretching any more during play! The end goal of course is to find the best way to keep your string length as consistent as possible. I’m curious if string tension has anything to do with stretch. Maybe a string that comes less tightly wound will not stretch as much?
Thanks for your time guys! I hope this isn’t too long.
TL;DR String stretched about 3 inches. Out of Ammo, Kitty Fat, and Kitty Nylon, Nylon stretched the least and Ammo the most.