Yo-Yo = Meditation!

Simple, to the point headline; yo-yo is absolutely meditative for me!

My lifestyle is picking up with my personal business and opportunities to expand, and I find myself pulling out the FULVIA at the studio every night during downtime between clients. It puts me in the zone and pulls me back to Earth a bit when things get hectic. I completely forget about it until that point in the day, and then get excited all over again like it’s brand new lol.

It’s just as therapeutic as exercise and stretching for me. The mind needs to unwind…and for that…I’m forever thankful for this simple “toy”!

Anyone else feel similarly? :sunglasses:

20 Likes

I play a lot because I am never able to stay still or sit down, I always need to do something in my life all day or I feel I “wasted” the day, or I do not feel accomplished with myself.
I play around 4 hours a day, it put me “in the zone” where time doesn’t exist anymore and make me feel relaxed.
While I play I think about the combos, enjoy the moment, even enjoy the yoyo itself, I put music or a movie in the background and then the time pass without even noticing it, by the time I put my head up is already gone 4 hours, is like anything else exist and all the problems goes away as I am very concentrated in what I am doing.

It is indeed a great feeling, is like pass some hours with me and myself!

9 Likes

I definitely agree. I am self-employed and work a lot of odd hours because that is when I can get things done without random interruptions. Yoyos help me reset my brain at the end of the night. Otherwise I end up dreaming about work too.

4 Likes

Yo-Yo and guitar work does that for me. Complete and total FLOW STATE. It’s real, and I’m so glad others know what I’m talking about.

5 Likes

Tell me about that Jace, I am a graduated classical guitar player, I was so in love with the instrument and study it and I had to stop playing guitar cause focal dystonia, it killed me inside for real and yoyoing helped me to cure the depression caused from it, I am very thankful to have this hobby in my life

6 Likes

I’m SO sorry to hear about that, my friend! That is no joke! I’m a personal trainer, I’ve owned my own business since 2015. I rent studio space downtown. I love what I do.

I’ve played guitar in bands and seriously since 2005. Fitness and writing riffs, even now at age 35, feels like the only natural things for me lol.

5 Likes

I feel this so much! I’ve actually thought about this very recently, and tried to figure out what really attracts me to the Yo-yo. I tend to reach for it in phases, I might put it down for months at a time but usually when I find myself reaching for it I find myself right back in that feel good “meditative” state. Currently I’m taking a step back from drinking, and this 100% helps me keep my mind and my hands busy! It satisfies the mind because it is rewarding, keeps my hands busy and stops me from needing a drink or a cigarette(this also helped me quit smoking) in my hand at all times. I can definitely say the Yo-yo has had a powerful impact in my life and I refer to it as a tool more than a toy.

8 Likes

I realized this last winter, that I really get into yo-yo again right before Christmas. Not even because of buying things; it just feels right to break them out. I didn’t throw at all last summer, I want to be outside and throw a lot more this year in the sun! I don’t even think I know more than a few basic tricks, I just make up weird combos that feel right to me lol.

I’ll be honest; half the advanced tricks don’t make ANY sense to me as a lefty thrower, and it feels like people are also just making things up after a point. It’s like jazz or abstract art; there are no rules just technique!!!

6 Likes

Very much a meditation thing for me too. It takes too much focus for me to think about anything else while I’m yoing

4 Likes

Definitely agree with this. I’m into drawing a lot too but I find with that atleast lately for me it doesn’t like captivate my full attention like a yoyo can. It literally just clears my mind when I’m doing it.

3 Likes

The physical reward of landing a new trick whether it’s with yo-yos, Kendamas, or fingerboards feels so much more substantial than the reward from TV or video games. This is my personal opinion of course but the farther I am from a screen the more fulfilled my personal life feels. The state of flow is an important and often underrated state of mind. for any readers out there, I suggest you read Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. A little boring but very interesting.

My favorite state of mind and something I often try to teach the kids at work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha, I have that book on my shelf and that was the first one that came to mind!

Another highly-suggested, older-school read = The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Dr. Robert Monroe.

Silva Method by Jose Silva as well.

3 Likes

Two more books in the backlog. Thanks, I guess… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Definitely soothing and it is like your brain is on another level doing tricks

2 Likes