Yo-yo Damage Stories

Just missed a catch and had my brand new Hinemosu hit the wall.

Thankfully it barely hit it and there’s no scratch/vibe. But got to thinking - what’s the most damage you’ve ever caused? Either to something else - or your throw on accident!?

2 Likes

One time I was yoyoing in Macy’s while my fiancée was shopping, and I hit one of those big mirrors people use to try stuff on

Left a pretty good scratch/crack :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

(If you work at Macy’s you didn’t see this)

5 Likes

Threw an unspoken artemis into my college dorm room’s wall after the string snapped, that one hurt the wall more than the yoyo but was definitely the most annoying.

Also hit a ceiling light with my brand new (at the time) unprld nostalgia and gave it a really nasty scratch and ding. Also broke the ceiling light.

3 Likes

Lol- did you book it!?!

That’s rough.

I was playing with an old Duncan butterfly and it was vaguely going on my wife’s direction.

She made a joke about it snapping off the string, and the NEXT throw when I was trying another trick in the opposite direction it broke and went flying

1 Like

Back when I first started trying 4a years ago, I had a Flying Panda I was practicing with in my folks’ backyard. After successfully attempting some pretty high-up hops, I decided I was going to fling that Panda as far up as I possibly could. Well it did, it shot from the string and up in to the sky…and to the roof…and over the roof…and in to the windshield of my dads’ ‘68 GT350. I told him how lucky it was to had gone in to the windshield and not in to the body/paint, but this seemed to anger him further. Anyways I got grounded for an extremely long amount of time.
The end.

3 Likes

So anyway I started dinging…

When I was damage testing the production of the Reflection, I threw it against the ground about 50 times, had to even fish it out of my pool once cause it bounced away.

7.5-8/10 nail vibe after I stepped on it.

4 Likes

Oh yeah I remember that!
Gosh that was hard to watch see
:anguished:

Walking the dog on my YYF Yuuksta. You could smell the metal burning afterwards. Also, the vibe on that yoyo was pretty significant after that and can be felt on the string.

2 Likes

My dad used to literally scream at me because I destroyed half of the furniture in my bedroom yoyoing in there, at some point I even get banned from yoyoing in my bedroom.
Still when I go home I can see the proud signs of love I left on those tables, bedside table and wardrobe in my parents house, it remind me the good time I had!

Nowadays I live in an apartment with my girlfriend, just before dinner I call my parents to speak with them and while I speak with them I am usually casually throwing, my dad that knows the sound of the bearing better than my voice like a month ago said “are you still throwing that thing inside the house? do you want to destroy all the furniture?” but now, this is my house and those are my rules so I just took my revenge saying “dear dad, this is my house and if I want to walk the dog on the walls and do an around the world on top of every piece of furniture, than…no one can stop me” lol

5 Likes

A TV, 2014. The new Prime8 cut the string.

5 Likes

Me and co workers were hanging out at our bar after work and my buddy’s drummer saw my bsp and wanted to try now all of us after a few shots I said yes and shortly after heard that sharp DING. only tiny scuff that broke the ano but that was the first my throw got dinged made new friends that night though lol

3 Likes

I’ve only ever had minor dings, I hit my gamer light on concrete once and those are gnarly. I’ve had a wood z axle split on me. I forget how but I was trying to whittle the whole axle out and ended up cracking the the whole yo-yo half. Was not fun but I was willing to potentially sacrifice the throw if it meant I could learn how to go about messing with woods.

2 Likes

A 68 GT350? I would be angry.

3 Likes

Oh absolutely, I was a smart aleck back then too (still am) so it didn’t help. I stand by my statement though and I know my dad would agree thank god it was the windshield and not the hood or roof etc lol

2 Likes

I have made the mistake a couple times of somehow completely missing a trapeze catch causing me to do a world tour. Scared the hell out of me thinking I was going to nail the hell out of my glass domed ceiling fan or something else but I been lucky. I panic every time I do that. :joy:

2 Likes