Yo-yo Budget?

Curious if y’all budget per check for throws or just go wild lol.
I find myself setting a budget but then getting wrecked by so many good releases.

How does everyone do it!

7 Likes

I don’t really mess around with money, I dont set any budget but i dont buy any “random” yoyo, before buy I must have considered why i want it and has to be a good reason (which is usual about playing and technical skills), there are some nice yoyos out there that i would like but i pass because maybe i have something even similar that play better.
I like to check all the releases but then i buy quite rarely what I consider great for my tastes.
Same stuff with strings and bearings, after found what i really like i dont mess around with it

8 Likes

I have limits I’ve set on myself per throw and how many per month etc and a budget with a “fun” category that’s where the yo-yos go. I never really exceed the fun category but sometimes I reduce how much fun can be non yoyo related which can be a drag.

4 Likes

I buy like three a year now. Been throwing for a while now though. There was years buying many more than that. I’ll usually do one of the monkey fingers preorder then the other two will be a special g2, one drop, or monkey finger.

Still gunning for one of the one drop cerakote

7 Likes

I throw all of my money (all cash) into a trash bag, swing that trash bag in the air as if that trash bag was itself a yoyo. Then, I flush all of the money down the toilet, look at some for sale listings and call it a day.

3 Likes

I’ve failed now 2 years running now. I’ve said I’m going to buy 20 dollars a paycheck of gift card from YoYo Factory just so I can go crazy on their A-Mayzing sales. This year I had some in my cart but could not pull the trigger on them.

Typically I will buy a couple a year, I think I have already spent more than I wanted this year.

5 Likes

I have a decent amount of disposable income but want to limit the number coming in, now that I have a growing collection. I joined the G2 patreon for one yoyo a month. I allow myself one more purchase per month outside of that. Monetary value doesn’t matter but this gives me a good flow of new stuff without going completely out of control.

6 Likes

How is the patreon. I’ve thought about signing up for that but unsure how good the monthlies are

2 Likes

I usually don’t buy anything unless it’s unique enough or pushes design (ex Next Stage or Unicorn). Anything play wise that I’m interested in I design myself tbh :joy:

4 Likes

Fly by the seat of my pants I try to be reasonable with the amount.
I am very fortunate to have a wife that does not mind my predilection for throws that are beautiful, unique or made of special stuff.
So I do not get much hassle in what or how much I spend… that being said I have had my leash snapped tight one or twice.

Example ( a bit un reasonable on my part )
One week I had gotten lucky… ul-lucky depends on how you look at it ( this one lucky ) with a few rare finds and a Ti drop, along with some regular gets.

Wife
Not in front of any one my wife looked up from her work at her desk in her office out the door into the great room, where I was throwing I am sure smoothing some trick out…
“ Michael ? “ with her English accent
I love that
“ Yes dear “ me grin on my face
“ how about slow down on buying yo-yos“ (for an amount of time she new was ridiculous to ask, but she did make a point ) after that I set more reasonable limitish limit that was much less than that well and have not felt the leash tighten… yet

Have a great start to the week everyone

6 Likes

Before when I was BST’ing a lot it would be based on resale or trade of other items in order to make sure I was not dipping into my bank much. Now its just “Do I actually want this or will it be just collecting dust.”

Less and less stuff peaks my current interest so it makes it much easier to save cash for it. This way I am spending on things I actually will use and not just continuing to throw money into the wind to have a case full of shiny rocks.

When I am looking for things to buy it usually stems from a design interest + spec range. Yoyos are not cheap to constantly be throwing money at.

Next purchase: New yoyo from @KirbyRobot, because supporting your friends is a cool thing to do.

4 Likes

After my latest woody my plan is to only buy souvenir yoyos. I only want throws that are gifts or have a connection to a time in my life. I’ve played most shapes and I get the gist, I just want to have a good time doing cool stuff :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I couldn’t be happier. Last 3 months AL7 B22, Tsunami, and the AfterLife. All 3 we got before any store releases. No drop stress is super nice. I haven’t won one of the lottos, but have used the discounts. If you have the money for G2’s I highly recommend it.

3 Likes