X-ray of a yo-yo

Really wanted to show this off.
I’m in school for non destructive testing and I got the chance to X-ray two of my yo-yos for fun
Left is a top yo Silenus and right is a clyw pickaxe.
Thought it’d be cool to show everyone. Also the bearing on the pickaxe still had its rings to cover the bearing.

32 Likes

Looks like the Silenus Could use a longer axle, lmao.
That’s real cool, thanks for sharing!

8 Likes

This would be a good way to reverse engineer an old favorite Yo-Yo

9 Likes

When I first read this topic I thought “naw this can’t be real” but I guess it surely is

4 Likes

I realized the same thing and that’s the axle it came with

2 Likes

super cool, and a lot less expensive than cutting yoyos in half

4 Likes

Hey the doctor said my medical records were confidential!!! How the heck did you get the scans of… oh wait no that’s not a model I own. My bad.

3 Likes

I mean my X-rays costed me close to a grand a piece. A little more than most yo-yos. I say we need to get a CT scan just to be sure this is really a yo-yo.

3 Likes

Wow. I love that Ty.
The really light areas have more weight. It’s a really unique way to see yoyos.
Mind blown :exploding_head:

1 Like

Very cool. Brings me back to my school days. I had a shot of my bumble bee but i lost the xray and that was pre smartphones so no records.

Xrays are absorbed by material depending on the density. The more dense the brighter it appears, the less bright means that the Xray is passing through less dense material.
This is way cooler then my bumble be because plastic is way less dense then Aluminum.

3 Likes

If anyone wants this done as a service let me know. Industrial CT (Computed Tomography) is part of what my company does. Perfect for reverse engineering.

Manufactures specifically could rule out voids in all of their stock. Not sure how common that it but I know it happens.

3 Likes