Worlds Predictions?

I’d love to hear people’s predictions on worlds 2019 after the results of AP and US Nats. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The only thing I’m willing to predict is that Evan Nagao will be the highest-placing US competitor (which might include retaining his title, but maybe not; I’ve not studied his Japanese competition closely).

8 Likes

Gentry and Evan are always on the table. Yuki Nishisako’s a possibility. Polo is always improving. Don’t doubt Shion either.

5 Likes

I think if Evan really wants it, he’ll win. But I don’t think he does so I’ll go

1. Shion
  2. Hirotaka Akiba
  3. Evan

Is Takeshi competing? If he is I got him for 1st.

3 Likes

No gentry?

1 Like

I doubt Evan does really want to win. He didn’t compete in Nationals so he can save his new stuff for Worlds

2 Likes

If this dude is coming to Worlds, he’s gonna wreck

9 Likes

Yes, I forgot to mention Akiba

1 Like

How does this imply that he doesn’t want to win? He has an automatic seed for Worlds and thus did not need to compete in nationals. And his World winning routine was the same one he used in Nationals. He is still a top contender without a doubt.

3 Likes

I think he meant “I doubt he doesnt really want to win”

In any case I don’t think he’ll be as thirsty for it this year as he was last year. Plus back to back wins in 1a worlds is one of the toughest things to do.

3 Likes

I think that with a bit more practice Conno could make it, he got 2nd at Nats with all of those mistakes, Still looking at MWR and Scales scores I think he has a shot.

Evan really looks like he’s in a Metro Man position right now, could’ve been a hero but followed music instead.

Takeshi exists.

Gentry really has found a blend of classic and new gentry that is on point, I think he could podium as well.

Polo is the other one that I really want to win, but his stuff is way too risky.

4 Likes

Connor is really pushing the limits rn. If he goes clean he could very well win.

2 Likes

What string is he using? My usual poly hates whips so…

3 Likes

Some interesting opinions here.

2 Likes

@hamdog is still taking it all. Everyone else is gonna swallow pool water and be bed ridden with Crypto.

edit: is there a schedule of where Worlds/Nats is located for future years? Won’t be able to attend one out of state until 2022 but I should probably start saving for the copious amounts of money I’ll spend now.

3 Likes

IYYF announces Worlds locations about 2 years out (http://iyyf.org/wyyc-host-announcement-2018/).

2020 will be in Budapest, Hungary and 2021 will be in Japan.

NYYL announces US Nationals about 9 months out. Location and dates are being finalized for next year still.

6 Likes

YOOOO 2021 is in Japan. I might actually be able to make it to that one

3 Likes

Yeah @eternalmetal what I meant was I doubt that he doesn’t really want to win. He didn’t feel the need to compete in Nationals so he could use his really good stuff for worlds and win

4 Likes

Ah ok, newspeak is unbeknownst to me :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea, I would imagine that the previous world champ has nothing to prove on the national level. Heck, his routine for worlds was the same as nats, so this time he is keeping it a surprise. I am really looking forward to it. As cliche as it may seem in 2019, he is probably my favorite yoyoer and I hope to see great things. We shall see.

2 Likes

Is Iori Yamaki competing?

1 Like