Top 100 Competition Players of All Time STATISTICALLY

9/3 UPDATE - Added Top 100 US Players List that includes US Nats results. Check 2nd tab in spreadsheet to see it.

I know this obviously isn’t completely accurate for a variety of reasons, it’s just something I did for fun and since it’s based off results I think it’s SOMEWHAT accurate and cool to look at.

Honorable mentions to Jennifer Baybrook, Tomoya Kitamura, and Taiki Nishimura, the only world champions not on the list.

This list was made from Worlds data from 1998-Present for 1a-5a. X Division and CB Division were NOT included. I’m considering adding APAC, EYYC, Japan/US Nats in the future but this is just for Worlds results.

Worlds Win - 4 points (2 pts OWYYC)
Worlds Podium - 2 points (1 pt OWYYC)
Worlds Final - 1 point (.5 pt OWYYC)
1.5x Multiplier for 1a since it’s the most competitive division.

In the event of two or more players having the same score, tiebreakers are determined by, in this order, Wins - Podiums - Finals with an additional tiebreaker of 1a Win > X Div Win > OWYYC win.

UPDATE 9/3 - Added Top 100 US Players List. For US Nats results I used the same format as Worlds but with half points given (ex. Win 2 points vs 4, Podium 1 pts vs. 2, etc.) and did not give points for X Div Finals, only wins and podiums.

11 Likes

No Mir Kim on the list after taking the 1A title in the OWYYC twice AND winning the actual WYYC this year? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Most of the people on this list can’t even hold a candle to him.

I agree. Going off of this scoring method he would have 12 pts whick would put him at minimum 33rd.

Oh you’re right, looks like I sent an unfinished version of the list. Should be fixed now.

He’s still def low tho for a few reasons. He’s only had 3 years of results and I gave half points for OWYYC. But also I do think more recent champions should be rewarded more than older champions. I think that’s one of the biggest flaws of my list but I was too lazy to work something out for that. Dominance during wins isn’t factored either, that’s another big one.

@Big too

3 Likes

This is sweet, I love data! This plus the yoyos used to win would make for some interesting archival data, which I notice a lot of skill toys lack.

Good job, I commend you for the work put in!

3 Likes

Honored to be in the top 100!! - I am so treating this as the NBA Legends Top 75 list LOLOL - Props for taking the time to do all the stats!

10 Likes

I’m a huge stathead for NBA and other stuff so it was fun to make, I learned a lot of stuff about older players I wasn’t too familiar with.

Like how Koji Yokoyama entered 9 worlds and podiumed all 9 but never won :exploding_head:

I feel like I pretty much never heard his name before but he was actually Top 3 on my list until like 2008 because he was competing since the start and would just podium every single year.

Even to this day according to my list, he’s the greatest player to never win a world title!

1 Like

LOVE IT! - I find it very interesting and fun to see!! - Again, major props on the stats!

Koji Yokoyama is a 2A Legend! - I remember him very well bc he was also competing at the World YoYo Contest the same years I was and I felt bad because he always got 2nd to Shinji Siato! - Then the year that Shinji didn’t compete, he also didn’t even go and everyone was like danggg, if he just went to that contest that year he could have taken home the Gold lol

2 Likes

Suggestion, how about duplicate ranking if two or more players got the same score?
For example instead of Alex Berenguel 53 and Mark Montgomery 54, it should be Alex 53 and Mark 53 since both got 9 points. And then the next player rank is 55.

2 Likes

I was going to do this and realized how many ties there would be so decided to add tiebreakers.

I’ve updated it so that in the event of multiple players having the same score, the player who has the best single results are ranked higher (ex. Shu Takada overtook Gentry even though they have the same score because Shu has 4 world titles to Gentry’s 2). Basically for tiebreakers, higher peaks trumps higher longevity.

Tiebreaker priority goes Wins > Podiums > Finals with additional tiebreaker priority of 1a > X division > OWYYC (ex. 1 1a win > 1 3a win > 1 3a OWYYC win).

There might be a few true ties that slipped through but there should be significantly less now using that system.

2 Likes

Added a separate tab with top 100 American players that includes US Nationals results. Top 100 YoYo Players of All Time - Google Sheets

Will probably do APAC/JN/EYYC in the future.

@YoYoExpertEric top 20!!!

4 Likes