Wooden Unresponsives

I rarely see any wooden unresponsive yoyos anywhere. Do you think that wooden unresponsives could have a future in the yoyo world? If ever you know tried or own any, how is it compared to metal and plastic yoyos?

3 Likes

The reason why wooden unresponsive don’t really exist is because it is too light, and it’s easy to break. Also much harder to machine (bearing seat, axle mechanism etc.)

4 Likes

I certainly hope they have a future because I make them.

Probably the biggest difference with wooden unresponsives as compared to metal or plastic is that wood has a lower density, so it requires a lot more material to make the desired weight.

Because the overall weight of the yoyo is distributed over a greater volume, it creates a unique play feel. They tend to feel very ‘floaty’.

You don’t tend to see very heavily rim weighed designs because it creates wobble very easily, so the weight is usually distributed more heavily mid or center.

They do not perform as well as metal yoyos, but a well designed one can still perform quite well.

Oh and if vibe terrifies you, then you will not like a wooden unresponsive. I can get them pretty smooth, but you will always notice vibe.

The tactility of a wooden yoyo is just lovely combined with that extreme float feel.

They’re really nice!

5 Likes

They’re not that easy to break and they are not too light when a denser wood is selected, or it’s made larger to compensate.

4 Likes

Do you think that wood and metal hybrids can possibly be good? This idea has been in my mind for awhile now.

3 Likes

You mean like a wooden unresponsive with metal weight rings?

I’m not really interested in that.

4 Likes

I think wooden unresponsive yoyos have their place in the definite future. They will only get better as players come together & exchange ideals that will improve what has already been established.

2 Likes

“Snakes and sparklers are the ones I like”

5 Likes

Screenshot_20180716-204745_Snapchat~2

5 Likes

To bad most yoyos are model after what ever signature player liked & wanted on it.

4 Likes

I only make what I like.

5 Likes

Wow, this thread kinda drove home that I own 4!

I have a Peon and Wood Boy made by Jensen, and a Cypress Pine organic and H-Shaped (what’s that made of Glen?) by Spin Worthy.

I love them all, and play them all! I can’t even say which one(s) I like the best. They are each different and fun!

If the motivation for yo-yo design was solely based on performance we’d have a lot fewer designs, and the only differences would be there to accentuate certain play characteristics. I’m glad that’s not the sole criterion of yo-yo design!

Having said that, I could definitely do every trick on the 1a ladder with anyone of these Woods. I haven’t made it through all of the tricks on YYE, but I bet with practice, there’s not a trick on there (in the 1a section) that couldn’t be done on any of these either.

5 Likes

The W shape I made was made from an Australian wood called spotted gum. It’s very tough.

Oh and it’s ‘Spinworthy’ not ‘Spin Worthy’ :wink:.

3 Likes

I traded one of my unresponsives with Jensen for a Woodboy. I think it’s a great yoyo, but I was a bit bummed because the trade was meant to be for a Peon. :no_mouth: Still would like a Peon one day.

3 Likes

Well if it’s any consolation, after some further reflection, I do think I like the Woodboy and Spotted Gum, just a bit more than the Peon and Cypress Pine. Still love them all!

4 Likes

Actually, I did have a passing interest once in making a wooden unresponsive with steel weight rings.

When I was with Yoyofficer, I was trying to convince Hong and Ma to make a bimetal Imp for a new model. I wanted them to put the steel rings about 7mm into the cup rather than right on the edge of the rim. They didn’t care for the idea at all.

I had considered making my own out of wood with some steel rings.

3 Likes

Unresponsive wood hybrid: Lowkey throws Arbor

3 Likes

It’s a metal yoyo with wooden caps glued in.

5 Likes

now that you say that im kinda interested

2 Likes

I love my spinworthy unresponsive yoyo! Such a different feel. It has the plasticish vibe, but it feels so unique. I would highly recommend buying one from @Glenacius_K

4 Likes