What’s the problem with wood?

Two questions-

1. Why is wood not acceptable for unresponsive play?
  2. Would making a wood/metal hybrid be possible? Has anyone tried this?

Also, this might be in the wrong category. If it is, could someone change it?

3 Likes

Very interesting idea.:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I’ll start it off with the YYJ bamboo, and some of Paul Yath’s creations in wood.
Without going into a long discussion, wood works, but you accept some compromises due to the inconsistency of wood.

Not that wood can’t be used, but metal is more consistent. Others like Ed can provide a lot more on this subject.

BTW, I never owned one, but the bamboo was a yo-yo people wanted to like, but had too many parts for some reason, and didn’t play as well as some had hoped.

3 Likes

So it’s not that wood doesn’t work, it’s just that metal works better?

1 Like

I’d say true, since people are concerned with vibe. If a little doesn’t bother you, then maybe not.

1 Like

from a mechanics of materials point of view, you have more variability in the density, etc. of the material in smaller areas due to the porous nature of wood versus a material like aluminum, or titanium, etc. therefore, you can better control what you are going to do with the material, making more elaborate shapes (deeper cups, domes, etc.) changing the performance characteristics of the yo-yo. you are more limited to what you can do with wood, due to the stress, strain, etc. it will undergo as you try to, say, make those shapes, and make them thinner, and consistent, on a lathe (note the discussion they are having on 70xx vs 60xx aluminum on the new ilyy drop thread).

when trying to make performance throws, you’ll get more consistent performance from a more consistent material like metal.

3 Likes

Lowkey Throws make some pretty awesome wood/metal throws and wooden unresponsive. I think @Glenacius_K has made some wooden unresponsives, maybe he could provide us some insight.

1 Like

The jamboo was a great player at the time. It had a bit of vibe but was a blast to throw. Lots of modders like Frank Difeyo and Eric Wolff made creations with both materials as well.

1 Like

tom kuhn’s rd series used supplementary metal weight rings as well

2 Likes

You also have to consider consistency over time. Moisture content can change over time, causing a change in weight and even size. In extreme cases the wood can even warp, just enough to cause problems. Expensive woods and processing can limit these issues but increase the price.

1 Like

Quite simply, wood is invariable. You can perfectly prepare two halves to identical shape, but because of wood’s varying density and structure it will not be perfect. You will introduce vibe when spinning at high RPM, which will degrade performance by having a noticeable vibe on the string and also reduce spin time. Metals are so much easier to use in this application and yield better results.

Sure, it can be done, but id see such a thing as a novelty more than a correct application of material. I will however take wood in a fixed axle situation almost 100% of the time. Plastics work but feel inferior imo, and metal is too dense and hard on the catch.

1 Like

Not only the consistency, but also weight distribution. You are not going to be able to push as high a ratio of weight out to rims, and still have a durable yoyo, or maybe not even one with reasonable smoothness. It’s similar to plastic vs metal in this respect, but even more so.

However, I have several, and I find them all enjoyable. I find the vibe from wood is actually pleasant. My Woodboy and slim Spinworthy are actually pretty darn smooth. The other two vibe more, but as I said, it’s actually pleasant to me.

Another issue for makers is waste of material and effort due to culls.

They probably will never be very popular, but if you like having different play characteristics, and tactile sensations from various yoyos, it’s definitely worth having one or two in your collection.

Yes. Those guys did some hybrid stuff.

They were modders right?

The Basecamp additions have wooden caps. Quite a nice look in my opinion.

2 Likes

I think when I said Paul Yath, I meant Eric Wolff