Wood yo-yo response tuning question

Any of you fixed axle enthusiasts have tuning tips on how to make a 1 piece, or glued throw more responsive? I have a couple that cannot be taken apart that are just not responsive. Different thickness and string types doesn’t seem to make much difference.

I’m no pro at this but I’ve found using a cotton strings helps with this.

1 Like

If experimenting with different strings don’t work, I’d try:
• lightly sanding the inner walls
• waxing the end of the string
• double wrapping around the axle
• any combination of these

4 Likes

I second double wrapping the axle. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

In this scenario, I start by really increasing the string torsion. Let the yoyo hang from the string and spin it until it’s very tight - way tighter than normal. Play with that tight torsion for a few minutes and then gradually bring it back to neutral torsion. If it gets slippy before you get to neutral torsion, tighten it a little until it responds well and play for a few more minutes. Then try backing off again. This often does the trick and gets it responding consistently. The nice thing about doing this first is that it doesn’t change the yoyo (like sanding does) and it helps break in the string.

If you still have low response or the string responds better on one side, then you might put a tiny bit of beeswax on the axle loop.

If that still doesn’t work, you might try sanding a tiny tiny amount as close to the axle as possible. But make sure you’ve tried the above things first.
The misconception some people have is that the inner walls do all the response work on a fixie. The walls really just help get the wind started by creating a moment of slack in the string. It‘s the axle/string connection that does the heavy lifting.

10 Likes

Very well said, good tip about string torsion. And yeah, that would be the order I would usually do it too. :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, and thanks to all who posted.
I have been hesitant to do any sanding, I associate it with reducing friction on a rough axle or wall, but it makes sense that it could be roughed up a bit to get that slack going.
The strings and string tension I have experimented with and I know it works, but I have a few that need more than that. So I think I will play with some careful sanding and maybe some wax. That is another thing I thought might make it slicker. Wood throws are great, but they sure are tempermental.

1 Like

If you use wax, I recommend a beeswax chapstick like Burt’s Bees or something similar.

1 Like

Have you just tried adding a few drops of water around the axle and the walls before play? Water works wonders, remove the string first of course. The water lets the wood swell, works for at least a session and doesn’t leave a residue like wax and not intrusive like sanding.

6 Likes

Never tried it, but I’m sure this works great since water will raise the grain and give it a slight sandpaper effect thus increasing the friction and response.

3 Likes

Oh that’s smart. I believe that is harmonica technology!
I am going to try that with the Hildy. I got it usable with a double wrap and a little wax, but it is certainly not dialed in. The NC State yo-yo was just not working, tried double wrap, sanding, and wax… so, I thought I would risk breaking it and one half came off the axle pretty easily. So I was able to shorten the axle and it works great now.
Thanks for all the input.

2 Likes