Wood refin? nasty old Tom Kuhn question

Hey everyone

I picked up an No-Jive that I can only assume was found under a bush or something. The clear finish failed in many areas and there were areas of mildew discoloration. I scrubbed it with mild, natural, hippie soap and a horsehair brush and happily got rid of most of the mildew staining and all of the stank.

I’ve smoothed out the edges of the failed clear coat with a green scouring pad and it plays well. I’d like to remove the remaining areas of clear coat and either play it natural or with a non-color changing oil.

I’m thinking oil to prevent my oils from attracting dirt and discoloring but I love the smooth feel of the raw wood. I had an 80’s Superstrat shredder (in the 80’s!) with a raw maple neck and it got a little nasty.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Ted

Pics of its current state after I hit it w/ the green pad:

12 Likes

That does look really good; it’s too bad you can’t keep it like that.

Perhaps treating it like a butcher’s block would be a nice compromise:

2 Likes

I have several raw unfinished clean machine No Jives and they tend to hold up and play really well. Develop more of a patina than “funk”.

If you’re committed though I’d do a gunstock oil (a la StingRay necks lol) or maybe linseed or ring oil (both of which I’ve done on No Jives as well).

Not able to open my display for 10 months still, but you can see some clean machines in front

Back left (facing up) is linseed and back right is tung.
Rest are unfinished after varying degrees of play.

11 Likes

I would just soak it in acetone to clean off any remaining clear coat or other contaminants, then spray it with some oil based polyurethane.

2 Likes

I hear you man; I’ve been throwing it for the last year-ish like this b/c busted-up finishes do look cool. I’d rather the finish damage be the result of my own use though.

Thx a mil, Ed. The comparo is super helpful. I was trying to remember Tung oil. All my necks these days are nitro.

My Clean Machine is a late one w/ etched nuts (2014?); thoughts on the finish? I can’t imagine it’s raw + time.

Thx man. I have some acetone on hand…I’m a total noob w/ wood. How to apply the acetone w/o damaging the wood?

I vote sand and linseed.

Really nice wood feel.

I wouldn’t soak it in anything

2 Likes

Just out of the picture in the first one is one of those 2014 clean machines. It just has the standard satin oil finish that Brad was using at the time.

7 Likes

Acetone is completely harmless to wood and will take off any clear coat or contaminants. You can either soak it or apply it to a paper towel and wipe it down. Acetone evaporates quickly so the wood will dry pretty fast.

2 Likes

Thx again; I’ll give it a shot

The acetone worked a charm. Wearing solvent-resist Nitrile gloves, I used a cotton make-up-removal pad and just wiped all over it. Two passes and it was done. Once dry I hit both halves once more with the Scotch pad to lightly smooth a couple of areas with raised grain. A water rinse for dust and a little bit next to a radiator (my house has steam heat) and I put’er back together.

Man, does it feel good in the raw! Smooth as silk. Per Ed’s rec I just leave it this way. Feels great in the hand and with fresh Zipline Kot-n broken in, it play great too.

Thanks everyone for chiming in! It was super easy to use acetone; I really wish I’d started there instead of sanding first.

Pretty wacky how different the branded graphics are, no?

12 Likes

What’s up with your display Ed? If you’re locked out, there’s a number of good tutorials on lock picking on YouTube that may help.

1 Like

Glad that worked out. My preference over raw wood is a couple of coats of Watco clear oil.

1 Like