Wood + Glue + Pants Pocket = 2pc Yoyo

@Myk_Myk - Have you tried PTFE on the axles? I’m curious if it would work with a wood on wood connection.

1 Like

I haven’t, I might if I don’t have success.

1 Like

I have glued my Oak Harbinger back together, and it’s playing good as new! I’m going to carry it in my pocket for a while to really test it out.

Can’t seem to find my 2016 EH…

1 Like

I’ve decide for now that the path I want to take in solving the glue coming apart is to tightly press fit axles instead of using glue. They should stay together and will require less labour to produce than threaded axles, ensuring that the price is kept down I got myself an arbor press to accomplish this.

7 Likes

You’ll do this for both wood and plastic?

So far so good with my Oak Harbinger!

Don’t you think you’ll still run into humidity problems? A climate that is super dry may shrink the axle and cause it to not fit properly. A super humid climate could possible cause the axle or halves to split from the extra pressure, and lack of space to move.

1 Like

Quite possible, it will need testing. The axle will be made from the same species as the body, so hopefully everything will expand and contract together.

3 Likes

Both the axle and body want to expand and contract with humidity changes. I think the problem could be that with a slightly looser fit that is glued, it’s the glue that doesn’t expand and contract at the same rate.

3 Likes

Have you tried hot hide glue? It expands and will, over time, become part of the wood. It’s used traditionaly in acoustic instruments, and old furniture, and works great.

1 Like

I could, but at this stage, I dont want to mess around with heating up glue.

Yeah hot hide glue is a pain, but the results are really good. It’s been something I’ve thought of for some time, coming from an instrument repair and building background.

Alright so at this point Glen’s problems are wanting to make a 2 piece that won’t fail on you

Glue is a huge no no
Threads are very costly
Press fit might expand unevenly

I might make this a thread for Glen’s sake TBH

I wouldn’t say that glue is a huge no no, it’s just not 100% reliable.

1 Like

The problem could also be that my bottle of glue is not what it used to be.

Oh lol, why don’t you make it 1 piece?

Avaliably of wood blanks thick enough in spindle orientation is exceedingly low. Plus the response and gap can be tuned much easier with two pieces.

Ah I see… But won’t 2 pieces of glued wood essentially be one piece so you can’t tune it?

The tuning is not done when the yoyo is together.

Oh I see