Any wooden doctors in the house?

Hey all, I was jamming with my Pocket love, which was my first real fixie that I got a few years back, and I slammed it on the ground, unfortunately breaking it. I had already glued the axle back together a few times before, but now I figure I need a new one. My question is if anyone here has replaced an axle on a woodie, and if there is somewhere I can find walnut dowels. I do have woodworking experience and I don’t imagine it’ll be too difficult, but I thought I’d ask. Below are some pics,
thanks a million!
_MG_0825 _MG_0826

When that happened to my 56 super tournament topps I just bought an Imperial and took out the steel axle and put it into my 56. Works great and no-one can even tell you don’t have a wooden axle.
And I have P.H.D.s in Psychology and Parapsychology.

4 Likes

Heretic!!!

2 Likes

Haha nice!! I would rather use a wood axle though, but thanks for the suggestion, I do have an imperial that would make a suitable sacrifice.

I thought walnut dowel would be a fairly standard affair in the USA. My guess is your local wood shop should have some. You’ll need it in 1/4".

Getting the old shredded dowel out can be a slight pain though. First, try pulling it out with pliers. If that doesn’t work, my suggestion is that you use a slightly smaller drill bit than 1/4" and try to drill it out using a drill press. After, you go in with the 1/4" bit.

Then cut a small piece of walnut dowel and glue it in using good quality pva. Space it with stacks of 10 playing cards either side, then clamp it.

That should do it.

4 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks for the play by play, I will give it a try!

1 Like

Give it a shot! If all else fails and you really love your yoyo, you can send it to me and I’ll fix it up.

3 Likes

Well, we do have THE yoyo doctor on the forums, @yoyodoc
As well as @DocPop
“This is a house of learning doctors”

2 Likes

woot woot! all finished!! Used Pokemon cards instead of playing cards, thank you so much @Glenacius_K
here’s some pics!

1 Like

_MG_0827 _MG_0828

3 Likes

Good work! But keep it clamped for 24h.

2 Likes