Wood Fixed Axle Trick's and Skills

I received my TMBR Sullivan and I am pleasantly surprised by how different it plays from my Baldwin of the same weight.

I am still learning the ins and outs of this new axle system and having some sporatic string catching and yoyo going responsive. I am playing with it and trying to break it in a little better. :slight_smile: It is fun to switch between butterfly and imperial!

That Sullivan looks like a really nice wood design, do you know how that one would compare to a 3-in-1 NJ?

I do not have a NJ so I can’t help you. The Sullivan is a big throw. I got it in Babinga so it weighs the same as my Baldwin but it is larger.

Interesting, I wish the price tag was a little lower but I bet it is worth it. ;D

It is very well made. It throws Fixie smooth no matter how threaded in or out the halves are on the axle. It is fun having the imperial shape as an option. Double or Nothing and every string trick is so much harder that way!

I am looking forward to the new Irving and Eh? I will probably have to sell something to buy them but they look so cool. :slight_smile:

I am about to put my first new string on the Sullivan. :slight_smile:

Will there be a new Eh? What does it look like? How did you find out? I really like mine; just wish I was better with it.

My progress to date…

1 Like

I can’t quite figure out how to adjust my gap on my No-Jive though (it’s too responsive)… I made a thread awhile back and I was told that paper works but any other suggestions/tips would help!

Put a little rubber o ring on the threaded part of the axle and lightly screw the yoyo together until you feel the hex but bump it. It takes a few tries to get it right where you want it, but it works. I was lucky enough to buy mine with this modification in place already. Gotta love the BST and great traders like JRod.

1 Like

Very Cool! Making some nice progress!

Dat laceration doe.

^^^ It’s the thumb grind that’s intriguing me most :slight_smile: That would be really hard on a fixed axle, let alone without an IGR.

It’s possible horizontally :stuck_out_tongue:

ed Haponik on Instagram: "@onceuponyoyo sent me one of his new wood yoyo's. Pretty rad to have a #fixedaxle capable of ring grinds and fingerspins that still FEELS like a fixed axle! #todaythrow #trickcircle" :wink:
here’s an attempt at fingerspinning a no jive (flat sides): ed Haponik on Instagram

also irving pro handles white buddha no prob.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9rtZebmLIo

this thread is cool. this kind of thing is what started me with fixed axle.
basically i was talking to jack ringca and spencer berry about how they’d had a little competition to see who could be first to hit cold fusion on a russell. it didn’t seem so impossible, and neither did the rest of the ladder tricks so i worked on it. got some proyos and i worked some more, got some no jives and i worked some more… after i finished the ladder, i moved on to sector_y. you can hit almost anything on wood if you go about it the right way. at some point, i shifted my focus though. it’s fun, but way less interesting (to me) to hit long technical tricks on wood than it is to figure out tricks that feel like they’re MADE to be done on wood.

3 Likes

Can’t wait for my RW Just For Fun to get to my doorstep.

I find it funny that the old wooden yoyo’s require more precision to execute the same tricks that that the high precision metals do easily.

Any one have tips on how to do Mach 5? So far I have succeeded in only smashing my face with high velocity wooden projectiles.

I’ll try it in the morning. Also, I choked on some popcorn when I read that last bit. Gave me a good laugh.

my first wooden fixie should be here this week or next…might have to adjust the gap as the person who made it said its alittle off…still excited to try one out

I have found that the new no jives dont need any adjustment. Also the EH should be out soon and I imagine it will be amazing. So if you are going to be getting your first fixed axel get a no jive or wait a little bit for the EH!

The new no-jives are a bit grabby IMO.