Wobbling Meteor

Hi everyone,
Pictured here is my wobbly YoyoJam Meteor.

It was a B grade left over after the factory closed, and it looks like there was a problem with texturing the yoyo near the rim. It looks like the process was incomplete and it seems to have left a little too much material on one side of the rim, which throws it out of balance. I don’t have a lathe or know anyone who has one, but I was hoping to get a few suggestions of how I might make it playable. Would it be possible or worthwhile to try to balance it out by hand (for instance, by using sandpaper)? Thanks in advance for your input!

1 Like

you could try getting a bad axle and attaching the half to a hand drill and sanding lightly

1 Like

Thank you very much for your input. This sounds about like what I was thinking, so thank you for that confirmation. Do you think it has to be spinning on a drill to get it right, or can it be sitting still since it’s just on one side of one half of the yoyo, or would this just result in other imbalances?

1 Like

I’d work the high side by hand first then finish it off spinning in the drill.

2 Likes

I like this idea. I remember hearing that doing this kind of work essentially kills the value of the yoyo, but it seems to me that it’s not worth anything in its present state anyway. It’ll give me tennis elbow with the way it thrashes around right now.

Yes, it will kill whatever finish there is, but if it smooths things out it’s good. It may be worth the effort to remove whatever finish there is and put a minor shine on it. Doesn’t need to be a mirror finish.

It looks like we’re thinking along the same lines, but I think if I’m successful at stabilizing its spin, I would like to try to do a mirror finish. I think it might look pretty good with the mirror caps on it too.