Winding from dead-- any tips?

Thanks for the vid link, Skitrz. Always nice to have a few options for winding a dead throw back up :slight_smile:

Yuki

Thanks, Skitrz!

When I was doing it pre-video, I was kind of going “out” rather than “up”. Even going up, I’m still not getting a full wind, but sometimes I’m getting enough momentum/spin that I only need to manually wind three times around the yoyo to complete it. And I can see how a day or two of practice could see me getting it the rest of the way. Besides, 3 winds is a lot better than 20! Or, I can just not wind, throw it down anyhow, then bind it back up with a normal smooth front bind.

I don’t know how good you are with binds, but I had the same problem for a while. Once my binds got better and better and I learned more variations of binds, I found that I can bind a yoyo that almost completely dead as long as it has some sort of rotation left on it. So even if you can’t get a huge clean spin out of your snap start, which I still can’t do every time, it’s still very much possible to bind the yoyo back. This may sound obvious, but if you don’t have a strong spin left, the yoyo can’t really climb up against gravity. So the key is really tossing the yoyo up or to the side as you bind and bringing your hand underneath of it. This way, the yoyo is actually falling down into your hand as it winds, rather than having to climb up. Hope this helps :]

And Thanks Skitrz! I’ll have to add that one to my arsenal :wink:

Wow Greg , you had a DM2 ,sweeet !!! That yoyo can do some awesome tricks when you know how to use it . For the snap start is super easy when you have that kind of yoyo .

You should see my yoyo , the damm thing can’t get a prober snap start and is hard as hell , it gets me frustrated most of the time i play .Even Andre said that my yoyo is pretty hard to snap ( is a ONE yoyo from YYF ) but i thinks is nearly impposible.

I can snap start just about anything but can’t hand start to save my life. I’m weird like that.

Yuki

I can hand start a Loop 900 ^^

WretchedRapture: Still learning. Standard front and side binds (from reverse trapeze) no problem. Throwing a plastic whip up and forward, no problem. I can sometimes hit an air bind, and last night I hit a chopsticks bind twice out of about 12 attempts.

What you say makes sense, though-- the yoyo can (and does) “climb against gravity” when it has tonnes of spin, but with a nearly dead yoyo that’s defying the laws of physics. I’ll see if I can figure out more that involve throwing it up and having it come back down.

Rakleon: Yeah! It’s a good yoyo, although I’m still rather good at making it wobble instead of spinning smooth. No doubt lots of people can and do snap start it, but the diameter just feels so large in my fingers to create that snapping motion.

Yuki: nutty! I’ve been hand starting since I used to play with fixed axle yoyos as a kid. It’s trickier with an unresponsive yoyo, but my hand still knows how to get enough spin to get’r “further along” than with a snap.

Who winds return tops now-a-days? Lmao just keep praticing the snap start bro.

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ksmbdz
|Y|O|R|E|D| @~~

I’m just a beginner and this thread sure has taught me a few great tips. Now, just need to practice as I get some free time. :wink:

Well, some practice time at the hospital and I’m snap starting the DNS and Lyn Fury like a semi-pro. Adding the wrist/hand turn made all the difference. :slight_smile: Would still like to do that “roll up” start for fun and variety but can’t get’r all the way along yet. Practice!

Good stuff, GregP! All it took was a bit of good advice and a bit of practice. =)

Yuki