Please help with Snap Starts!!!!!

Hi, jordandarkmagicII here. I was just wondering if someone can please help me with Snap Starts. I have somewhat small hands, but I can never seem to do a Snap Start!!! Any advice? Thank you so very much!!!

You have your dead yoyo.

Put it on the string like you would for a front throw bind.

Pinch String.

Pull string down.

TADA!

1 Like

Thanks, but that did not work for me at all. I don’t really understand what you ment, but thatnks anyway!!!

bump

(Nemyo’s explanation only works with a responsive yoyo)

Hand Starts:

1. Have Dead yoyo
  2. Put your TH in the air, a little above your head
  3. Put your NTH index and middle fingers on the opposite sides of the wing of the yoyo
  4. Stretch the to apart a little so the string is taught.
  5. Pull down on the yoyo with your NTH fingers, letting them fall off. (The yoyo should be spinning a little.)
  6. Bind the yoyo.

Snap Starts:

1. Have a dead yoyo
  2. (Dependent on which hand you can snap better with. For me, even though I’m right handed, I snap better with my left hand, so I’ll use it from my view.) Fold/choke-up on the string so there’s about half an arm’s length of string.
  3. Position your snapping fingers on one wing of the yoyo.
  4. (Make sure the string is relatively taught) Snap with your snapping hand.
  5. Bind the yoyo.

When you start doing hand starts, the spin will be very weak. As you notice things you’re doing wrong, you’ll subconsciously fix them, and soon, you’ll be doing hand starts like a pro.

1 Like

Oh sorry…

It does work with an unresponsive.

Here ya go!

1 Like

for me it helped to just practice snapping my fingers forever, like until it hurt. then you just refuse to wind the string and eventually you’re force to master the snap start.

1 Like

I just flick my thumb down in the gap of the yoyo so it spins, then bind. It’ll take practice. I learned how to snapstart before I could throw a sleeper.

This is one of those tricks/moves you will just have to do over and over, I know it seems weird at first, but the more you try it the better you’ll get.

I know that doesn’t sound helpful, but it took me a month to get consistent and strong with my snap starts.

Chances are, you’re not doing it wrong, just not doing it enough.

Good luck.

What worked for me was forcing myself to try and snap start a dead yoyo and never hand-winding it. This makes you learn it and have a lot of practice at it. What really the snap start is actually trying to snap your fingers with the yoyo in between them. At first the yoyo will wobble and barely spin, but soon you’ll be getting more consistent and then it’ll be easy.

I’m doing rather pathetic snap starts. I gotta pinch and then pull WAY up when doing that bind and really get that yoyo moving. I’m CONSISTENT with that now.

My suggestion: keep on practicing. I know that sounds way over-used, but it’s true. Don’t expect quick fixes and instant gratification, sometimes it’s just flat out putting in hours, days, weeks, months and years into something. However, since this is yoyo, let me hope you can get this down in days or weeks, nor months or years.

Granted, NONE of this is coming easy to me. I have to practice WAY more than most of the rest of you to get even a little bit of progress. I’m not complaining, just stating facts. It’s OK with me. I’ve come from nothing and gotten to plastic whip in 8 months and am filling in gaps to help me acquire the skills I need to progress, such as the Houdini mount, trapeze and brother and other small elements.

So, don’t give up. Keep practicing. You WILL get it if you really want to.

I had a lot of trouble with snap starts until i bought my dv888. The flat rims help a lot when you’re learning this. Also, twisting your wrist in the direction you are snapping the yoyo will help it get a little bit extra spin and keep it a little bit more stable until you get the hang of just snapping it.

The video Nemyo posted is pretty good. However, in the video you are told to do the move quickly. I find that smoothly works better for me. If you do it to quickly, it jerks the string and nothing works.

Think of it as just a bind. In the video, when the yo drops below the video frame, his non throwhand crosses over the top of the yo just like a normal bind. It’s just a bind done from a static position.

Also it might help to think about rolling the yo along the string to the non throw hand.

Good luck and keep practicing.