Why is My Fulvia Doing This?

One thing I noticed in the video is your string seems wayyyy loose around the bearing. Try messing with the string tension and see if that helps keep it straight. Mine is always pretty tight around it Idk maybe it has nothing to do with anything

3 Likes

I was just thinking this didn’t see your comment lol

3 Likes

Im all for the praise of machined plastics like the Speedaholic XX (only machined polycarb i have for example), but I dont know why you’d want a plastic to serve as a beater over aluminum. One small whack on my hardwood floor and its never been as smooth again. I still love to play with it but plastic may not take a huge beating like you want it to.

2 Likes

All gyros precess based on its deflection. It is normal. You just have to figure out what is causing the deflection on the perpendicular axis.

2 Likes

I thought that same thing about the string but wasn’t sure from the video quality.

1 Like

This right here I underestimated its durability over a mono.

Volume on:

1 Like

oh i think i figure it out! you have been listening to too much captain beefheart and it is causing reality to bend. :slight_smile: it’s a string tension issue btw.

3 Likes

I think each yoyo comes to a dead spin differently. I definitely have some that rotate as the spin dies. Im not a physics major but if I had to guess it has to do with rim weight and center weight.

You already ordered a new Fulvia. Maybe just let it go and move on as annoying as it may be.

2 Likes

its weird. the only time a yoyo will do this is with tension on the string, but if you’ve tested fresh strings on it then im lost on what it could be. I own a PFluvia and it acts like a perfectly normal yoyo.

1 Like

Are you sure that your house is level?

That amount of presession is NOT normal. The tilt is totally weird.

2 Likes

Hey!

Someone sent me this link directly lol - such a weird problem.

As a huge PSA please do not ever use a longer axle than manufacture recomended (in this case it is 8mm). Yoyos are designed almost always to exactly fit that axle, and damage is very easily done if you try using anything longer.

This is a very weird issue haha - can you do me a favor if you have access to a scale and weigh each half? only time I’ve seen a yoyo do this is if one side is considerably heavier than the other. The other issue could be string tension but your videos showed no rotation with other throws. So my money is that there is a weight difference in the halves which would be defective. This can be caused by either machining error or theres a bubble inside the plastic that no one can see aha. As weird as that sounds it does happen.

Let me know your findings since im super curious! And to help make future runs better!

14 Likes

Uh… I’m the someone that linked Jeffrey to this thread.

Many of you already know what I’m about to say, but I am suggesting this for ‘those that don’t already know’.

One of the nicest things about this yo-yo pastime is that almost all the designers are ‘available’ if you just reach out to them. No doubt they are busy because many of them are just doing yo-yos part time and have other jobs or endeavors to keep them occupied.

But, that being said, most of them check for incoming messages and they can be the Best source of useful answers or suggestions.

Logic dictates that if there are any real or even perceived problems with their products, they want/need to know, so they can address potential issues.

You can contact: Ernie at Generalyo, Frank or Dominic at ILYY, Few and Far Between, ZGRT, Yoyofactory, and another 20 something ‘Skill toy providers. They will get back to you.

In this particular instance, Jeffrey Pang spent literally months and a lot of money, dialing in the Plastic Fulvia before he pushed the Red button and ordered 3000 of them. He has been an active player for many years and an active yo-yo Designer for many years. He didn’t just design a plastic yo-yo and name it the Fulvia. He used every single bit of the knowledge he has gained along the way, to nail down a butt kicking machine.

A one man Company can’t afford 3000 mistakes. Jeffrey knew the plastic Fulvia was a winner long before he placed the order.

I started reading this thread and I have no problem whatsoever with the OP being concerned about something perplexing him about his yo-yo. You guys know me…. I actually ‘do’ know a few things about yo-yos, and I will jump in to try and clear up concerns, when I feel I have the answer.

We all take turns helping each other as can be witnessed every single day to those that frequent this forum. But is this instance, I hadn’t chimed in because I had nothing to offer in the way of a useful answer.

I put on my thinking cap and got out a few of my Fulvias and started fiddling around with them, trying to duplicate the OPs’ odd Fulvia behavior🧐.

Following the thread, as soon as the OP mentioned he changed out to a longer Axle, that’s when I decided to link Jeffrey to this thread. Changing out parts for non standard parts, ‘especially’ longer than stock axles, is not the a step in the correct direction for problem solving. (Which the OP realized and stated his mistake).

Nobody is more interested in potential yo-yo defects than the people that design them to make and sell.

We all have the easy part. They do all the work and we just buy them if/when we have the money😂

PS…. One thing I found kind of interesting is how the OP got a little combative in challenging others to tell him ‘where is the precession’ in his two provided spinning yo-yo videos.

Probably frustration more than anything else.

All yo-yo precess, just not exactly at the exact same rate. To produce two yo-yos that exhibit minimal precession, proves little.

The replies in this thread prove that most people want to try and be helpful, just like others were when they had a problem.

No doubt in my mind if ‘we all’ were at a Yo-yo meet and the OP brought his problem up right in the middle of the crowd, the solution would be much faster than trying to solve the issue from a distance. We would pass the yo-yo around. Take turns fiddling with it. And somebody would say, ‘I know what’s going on here’. And on to the next puzzle.

10 Likes

Curious what would happen if you put a flat bearing in it. My guess is that the centering bearing got off center at some point with the damage. When I do a long sleeper and adjust the twist of the string, it moves it to one side or the other effecting precession. So, if the bearing is causing the string to be held more to one side, then that could do it. Does it appear to be centering off center?

2 Likes

Hey Jeff! Just to clear up this issue was persistent way before I experimented with a longer axle, lol. That was the very last thing I tried. The two halves do in fact weigh differently I didn’t think that would have been a thing either! I’ll take pics when I get it I weighed last night just didn’t have phone near me.

I’ve since ordered a second one right from YYE on here it might actually arrive today.

2 Likes

That was my point my friend; illustrating the level of procession happening in the Fulvia wasn’t normal (hence video comparisons), like people were claiming. I’m sorry if that came off combative; I still stand by that position lol.

All in all I feel like this would have been better suited for in-person discussion because there’s about a dozen different missing the forests for the trees situations going on in this thread.

1 Like

Flat bearing made no difference. Tried several kinds, string as well! The two halves weigh different I’m wondering if the bump made it worse and sent it over the “procession cliff”.

1 Like

I don’t think you said anything wrong, Jace. Anybody would understand it can be a little frustrating trying to figure out something that seems like it should be less of a puzzle.

We are pretty much just taking turns guessing from so many parts of the Country, so far away from you.

That’s why I said if we were all in the same meet hanging out, we would prolly make short work of your dilemma.

So…. You said you weighted the halves and they are different? How different in gram weight?

You seem pretty new to the forum…. You may not know me, but you could actually say I know a few things about yo-yos. Maybe…. Even more than a few things>

I have ‘fiddled’ around with a few thousand yo-yos in the last 26 years.

We ‘are’ actually trying to help…. From a distance.

6 Likes

Yeah that’s definitely the cause then! Likely a defect.

If you want to be reimbursed for your first one via paypal just DM me!

Case closed! aha

8 Likes

What is the weight differential. I am dying to know…

Thanks, Jeff

6 Likes