Why is My Fulvia Doing This?

Hard sleeper = yo yo will gradually spin out 180+ degrees from start, making trapeze combos nearly impossible about 10 seconds in. WTF?!

No matter how much I adjust the axle, this continues to happen.

I’m convinced I did permanent damage to threads inside the yo yo after it took a whack.

No amount of tweaking is stopping this thing from spinning out/off axis…

I notice MOST of my throws have a loose axle that comes out easily/likes to switch sides upon opening up, but it’s never ever been this bad.

This is nearly unplayable and I’m getting frustrated!

Is Loc Tite the only solution to this?

4 Likes

I just tried putting a slightly longer axle in, which proved to be too long for the yo yo, and now that axel is death-grip tight and not moving. I’ve more or less destroyed this throw. Looks like I’ll be ordering a second one.

Damn it.

I’ve ordered a second one 2 day Fed Ex because I’m impatient and I refuse to not have a beater EDC throw lol. Lesson learned!

This is completely normal.

When you throw a sleeper, the yoyo will gradually rotate off axis to the right. It’s just how physics works.

Once it starts tilting it will start tilting even faster as the string rubs against the walls of the yoyo.

You can adjust the tilt using different methods. When people test sleeper spin times they twist the string clockwise to adjust for the tilt. Give it a go.

Of course this isn’t a method people use during normal play. They adjust tilt by purposefully rubbing the string against the yoyo walls in certain ways. Look up yotricks’ video on adjusting tilt.

I wager that your threads are most likely fine on your fulvia. Just try to remove the axle the best you can and never insert a longer axle into a yoyo that it’s rated for. If you get unlucky and get an axle stuck backwards in a yoyo, it will most likely mean the end for that axle unless you have some specific tools.

5 Likes

I’m telling you my friend none of my other throws do this and it’s getting worse to the point of being unplayable.

I really wish I could explain this better there is absolutely something wrong with this throw it got caught between two chairs by accident and I pulled VERY hard to the point of string snapping and me cutting my own hand a bit (foolish mistake thought I could pull it loose easily, wrong move).

The yo yo even had deep scuffs on the outer rim from the ordeal. I literally feel like I stripped the inside of the yo yo against said axle a tad; this new longer axle is now perma-wedged in there and I can’t even screw the throw completely closed anymore, lol. Even with pliers I can’t back that thing out. This is why I don’t experiment with new tricks/settings with my metals LOL.

No amount of added grip to the tools (rubber grips etc.) is backing out said axle. The only thing that gets it to move is to over-tighten the yo yo shut, then open it, and the axle switches sides but is now stuck there just as hard LOL.

Honestly at first it was probably able to be saved then I jacked it with the long axle and screwed myself. Lesson learned. Like I said, it wasn’t throwing the same after that chair ordeal.

Oh well. I ordered another one.

Looks normal to me. If you twist the string with your non-throwing handle to rebalance the yoyo, does it stay on plane?

This is normal

1 Like

Nope that’s what I was trying to convey!

I noticed it playing wonky immediately after a big bump and couldn’t find anything immediately noticeable with axle or bearing. Another user pointed out this phenomena happens when string doesn’t stay centered on bearing; I think I jacked the bearing seat JUST enough to warp things.

None of my other throws do this and this one started right after the big bump.

1 Like

Why do none of my other throws do this at all, ever?

Why did this only start after a huge bump?

2 Likes

Watch this video Brandon shows how it’s normal for a yoyo to rotate when doing a sleeper. I Attempted The World's LONGEST Yoyo Sleeper - YouTube

If you did something that shifted the molded-in bearing seat laterally it could be making it worse

2 Likes

This is exactly what I think I did, my friend.

1 Like

I feel like this happens to me slightly on other throws.

Question - when dining anything other than a sleeper does it affect feel or performance?

Yes performance is greatly impacted, that’s what I was trying to convey above. After throwing say skin the gerbal, two thirds of the way through the trick I can see and feel the yo yo turning off axis mid trick. Trapeze becomes impossible.

Pick up another throw, no issue.

I think @Rosenberg is spot on; I must have whacked/pulled it hard enough to shift/perturb the molded bearing seat JUST enough.

This would cause the yo-yo to vibe. He’s having the issue while the yo-yo is smooth.

1 Like

Probably, but if the plastic shell was able to slide outward it wouldn’t necessarily vibe would it? Still the same weight on both sides, just that one side is a different distance from the string/ center line

1 Like

Potentially, but the chance of it sliding out perfectly without getting off axis and causing vibe is pretty slim.

1 Like

Can the guts of the Plastic Fulvia shift laterally? They look to be completely molded in to the plastic.

Edit to add a link to a video of this yoyo cut in half:

1 Like

Does anyone else have one that can try to recreate and see if it does the same so that we can rule things out?

Yeah I mean to add tha I don’t know how they’re secured

On thing that stands out to me in the video is the wide open string loop around around the bearing. Is this normal? When I have a new string with a neutral torsion, there is barely a gap during a sleeper.

To get a gap that wide I would need to significantly loosen the torsion.

I tested sleepers on my Rectifier. With neutral torsion there is a minor degree of this precession. Maybe ~5 degrees over 30 seconds. With seriously loose torsion, that goes up to ~30 degrees.

However, the string is basically unusable at this point. The second there is any slack it twists into a snarl. It seems like the string here must have pretty different characteristics, but I am wondering if string in general has something to do with the issue.

4 Likes