Fulvia Keeps Going Off Axis

Just as title says; I keep having to adjust the axle constantly. Are you guys using Loc-Tite on your axles? Mine’s being especially finicky today and it’s almost unplayable! Bearing is clean. Any help is much appreciated.

What do you mean by needing to adjust the axle constantly? I don’t think I have ever adjusted an axle outside of trying to tune out vibe.

1 Like

If I were to get a string knot and take apart the yo yo, the axle either spun looser than it was before, or else it removed itself completely and is now on the side with the bearing.

This means it came loose and screwed itself into the other side when taken apart, which means it’s not a stable axle if it’s doing that. I’ve had this happen a lot honestly with Magic throws.

It seems no matter how much I put it back to normal, it won’t stay tuned. No vibe, just starts spinning left or right on the string slowly almost like it were spaghettied, but string is fine.

I can spin the axle loose by hand when it’s all the way in. Magic yo yo do the same thing, the axles are too small and constantly move. If they come loose while the yo yo is together, you get sleeper spin as described above.

It’s constantly coming out and not staying in. After like 5 throws I’ll throw a front sleeper and the thing will gradually spin off axis to the left, making tricks impossible.

I’m amazed more don’t talk about this issue, or else the answer really is just LOC TITE to keep the axel in full length with no movement whatsoever. Aka a perma-tune.

2 Likes

This is what I’m talking about; throw a hard forward sleeper, within second yo yo spins almost 180 degrees from start; this should not be occurring lol:

Now try doing trapeze combos and watch how quickly things go bad lol.

I’m 99% certain this thing took a hard enough bump to loosen the threads a tad on either the axle itself or the actual yo yo end; been messing with this for hours getting nowhere ready to just order a second one and loc tite this one, in all honesty.

1 Like

That’s actually kind of weird.

So it’s gyroscopic precession

And precession in a gyroscope (or any spinning object, happens at 90 degrees from the force applied. Excessive string tension results in tilt (or roll if it were an airplane) because string tension is yaw.

What we’re seeing here is yaw on the yoyo so there must be a force of tilt on the yoyo. My best guess is the two halves don’t weigh the same, if you have a gram scale you could test that out.

I wouldn’t think the axle would have that much room to migrate in the yoyo, but I don’t have a fulvia.

This is when it’s at very low speeds right?

3 Likes

I can’t stress this enough turn your volume on you can hear the yo yo ripping in that clip; I filmed a hard sleeper I hope you guys realize I’m not holding a dead yo yo hanging there; this is video of it gyro-ing out as it spins via sleeper, lol.

Hard throw, my friend. It honestly happens regardless (or did, rather).

I think your post supports my theory that I may have caused imbalance damage with my big bump/pull there.

Might not be axle itself might actually be one/both halves being messed up.

Yeah, if the yoyo took a hard hit and the halves are no longer aligned that would do it too, I’m just surprised it isn’t vibing like crazy.

1 Like

This is what I’m saying. There’s no vibe just crazy gyro imbalance. It’s not normal and instantly noticeable lol. NONE of my other throws do this.

I honestly would have thought these were a tad more resilient, but I’ve ordered a second.

What youre talking about is a physics phenomenon known as Precession. It happens when the string is not centered on the bearing. It has nothing to do with the axle.

2 Likes

It’s like the odds of winning mega millions but instead you just got a yoyo that’s messed up. A pretty cool anomaly to mess with other yoyo nerds brains when they experience it though.

1 Like

Would a solid whack cause this, because none of my other throws do it and that’s all I can deduce/infer. It took a big whack last night, hasn’t been the same since.

1 Like

Play a one Drop with a flat bearing and you’ll notice it even worse

1 Like

True, I just thought it came with a string centering bearing and not a flat.

1 Like

Why is this a thing? This shouldn’t be happening for any reason I can’t imagine certain bearings being worse. The more I think on it now the more I think the little bump un-centered the bearing seat somewhat permanently and now it’s just effed.

1 Like

Replace the bearing with one that isn’t giving you trouble and see if it fixes it. If it does then yeay, if it doesn’t show it to other people and watch their disbelief in person.

3 Likes

Another thing that could be causing it is something rubbing against the friction pad or something in the bearing seat rubbing against one side of the bearing.
That’s how we typically adjust tilt so something could be inadvertently causing it without you knowing.

1 Like

This is what my gut is saying; it did become more responsive after the fact, which is expected. Fresh string and all. I feel there’s an odd tilt that’s NOT normal no matter what people are saying here; they’re misperceiving what I’m showing.

That video is of a moving yo yo, ripping. None of my other throws do this, at all, this isn’t just natural spin, this is due to some sort of warping causing it to permanently gyro, which is absolutely different.

Pick up any of my other throws, this isn’t happening and I’m nailing the same tricks and combos first try without sweating.

Switched bearing out twice before even making these threads, same issue, hence my concern and making these threads lol.

You and one or two others appear to be the only ones recognizing this isn’t normal, so thank you.

Like I said I’ve ordered a second Fulvia (white this time!) it’ll be here in 2 days. Lesson learned!

1 Like

Its physics, im not smart enough to explain why precession happens.

2 Likes

This is absolutely normal, put in a true string centering bearing and it will be lessened to a huge degree.

Precession is a natural physical phenomenon

2 Likes