Why does it seem like people are obsessed with yoyos as weapons?

YoYo as a weapon was started by Donald Duncan Sr. to sell throws. End of story. I hate it when people tell me that my BSP is a weapon and how you could “really hurt someone with that”, ahhhh no. I can attest after hitting my self uncountable times with virtualy every throw ever made that throws are terrible weapons, thats why I carry a 44 Peacemaker, now thats a weapon!

I don’t think the yoyo, if used as a weapon, wasn’t used as a war weapon, more likely a hunting weapon. But, this is just a conversation that won’t be able to get resolve as there’s a serious lack of history to either prove or disprove the use of the yoyo as weapon. I fail to see how such a short range item would make a very effective device for killing people, much less critters. Well, I guess it depends on the critter. You can often get somewhat close to some rodents before they freak out and run away, so I could see how having a yoyo or a rock tied to a string could be handy. that 4-5 feet of “extension” could make the difference between a meal or not, and the string/leather thong would be so that it would not need to be retrieved.

Yes, there is proof the yoyo has existed for well over 2500 years, but it appears that it existed mainly as a toy of sorts. That we can confirm for sure.

For me the thought of using the yoyo as a weapon just doesn’t seem to be practical, at least not in it’s more current form. I define that form as two identical halves joined and has a string that isn’t particularly long. This fits in with the artwork on Ancient Greek pottery and holds true to today. But just like anything else, we can have a “civilian” version and a “military” version.

Yeah, well after you unload those 6 shots, I’ll still have a re-usable item! I’m gonna bust a throw in your a–!
Then again, you can turn that gun around and use it as a war hammer of sorts.

I can’t recall ever hearing a story on the TV news of a person committing a crime aided by a yoyo. I sure am not going to be one to “carry a yoyo to a gun fight”. Of course, maybe using yoyos as weapons would cut down on murders through gang fights.
(my sister in law was shot recently and nearly killed thanks to firearms based stupidity tied to idiot gangs spraying bullets. A good argument for yoyos!).
But, do I really want to apply for a permit to carry a concealed yoyo? I dislike waiting 3 days for my YYE order sometimes, now I have to go through a 7 day waiting period AND a background check to get a yoyo?

There is the Bandit yoyo, and the Pistolero. I’m sure other yoyos have weapon names.

This is Totally funny!
LMFAO. Dont forget the manditory handling class you need before you even buy the darn thing!
The YoYo is the second oldest toy on earth. Can anyone guess the oldest toy on earth?

That commercial is hilarious, I’ve never seen that one before.  I don’t think I’d put much stock in facts from a website called ‘knowledgesalad’ though.

The doll. Or the pet rock, obviously after they were domesticated.

Yeah It’s the doll

same, they always just stare and say “that is so cool”

If I was going to use a yoyo as a weapon it would be any off-string because they are bigger and also they get faster speeds/rotation and a harder impact downside I am sure you would lose it often! The retractable blades is no good because the yoyo is spinning until it hits you hand. What I would do is make it where the blades only came out when the yoyo was at the end of the string and a certain amount of tension between your hand and the yoyo. I was just reading a article saying that the myth that yoyos were said to have been weapons was used as a marketing ploy. But I am sure people have tried it.

You miss the point. Take the string off your finger and throw the thing! Get something with some nice weight, maybe a dif-e-yo, and chuck it. I think I could knock ya out! KO!! Using a rock would be way cheaper though ;).

Not unless the rocks are being distributed by CLYW!

1 Like

that just made my day.^

One guy i knew was like that. He’d always say to himself in a quite mystified voice, “Yo yos are weapons . . .”

I love the way you scienced the crap out of this! :rofl:

The myth of the yo-yo as an ancient Filipino weapon persists despite the absence of sound historical evidence that it was ever used in this way. The term yo-yo (like the toy itself) was probably imported into the U.S. from the Philippines in the 1910s: One of its first appearances was in the pages of Scientific American , “Filipino Toys: How Our Young Island Wards Amuse Themselves” (July 1, 1916). The first yo-yos manufactured in the U.S. were made by Pedro Flores, a Filipino immigrant who eventually sold the trademark to the Duncan Yo-Yo Company. In the cultural turmoil of U.S. imperialism, the idea of the yo-yo as an exotic weapon caught on, and many of Duncan’s early demonstrators used this story in their sales pitches. In 1983, a “yo-yo thug,” played by William Derrick, even appeared in the James Bond blockbuster Octopussy, complete with a wholly improbable, impractical, and probably suicidal bladed version of a yo-yo.

1 Like

Whenever I show someone I can yoyo, I like to do eli hops 2 inches from their face :+1:

Why do people keep digging up these ancient history topics and posting in them recently? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

A seven year necro! :rofl:

1 Like

That reminds me… back in 1999 at Worlds in Honolulu; Steve Brown got pretty upset because Greg Cohen said there was no time for Steve to go up on stage and give a 5A demonstration.

Any thoughts on that?

I know that was almost 20 years ago. But I forgot to ask; way back when😳

4 Likes

Because yoyos are timeless! That’s what’s awesome about them!

Don’t tell me you’ve thrown all your 7 year old yo-yos in the trash, have you? :wink:

Ummm, nope, becuz that’s about the newest one I have.

Dang man! Why do people keep digging up these “ancient history” yo-yos, and throwing them recently? :roll_eyes: