Why Do The Posts In The Mailday Thread Get More Attention Than The Posts In The Tricks Thread?

Something just crossed my mind and I’m really curious… Why do the photos of yoyos posted in the what did you get in the mail thread get more love and attention than the videos of people posting yoyo tricks in the lets start posting tricks thread? Do people on the forum like looking at yoyos more than they like seeing actual yoyo tricks? I don’t get it. We need more love being shown on peoples tricks and more people posting tricks…

12 Likes

Convenience and time (basic UX studies highlight user attention across interactions if you’re super bored).

Videos require attention and I like the thread to congratulate others on spending their money, perhaps on something I didn’t buy or just a cool pic.

24 Likes

Honestly, I’ve never thought about it until now, but I probably do “like” more stills than vids.

I would have to say part of why I do it is the stills are usually quality photography as well as a nice throw.

I like the pic for the quality of the pic, regardless of what throw it is taken of, for the art aspect.

4 Likes

It’s only like that on this forum though. If you go to a platform like ig way more videos get more love than photos when it comes to yoyoing

3 Likes

You think most of the photos are quality photos? They are mostly taken with cell phones with not much thought in my opinion

1 Like

Well I would say a modern “cell quality” throw pic is better than many of the “cell quality” videos.

2 Likes

Still seems like most people here like looking at yoyos than tricks. Idk…

3 Likes

I can scan a pic in a minute or less whereas a video takes considerably more time. Instructional videos are a different case altogether.

4 Likes

most videos on here are like 30 seconds or less

1 Like

When I think yoyo forum I think tricks and discussion not really just looking at photos of yoyos you’ve probably seen already. Don’t get me wrong I still spend a decent amount of time in the mail thread myself

1 Like

In my experience lots of videos on here have been posted elsewhere before (whether IG, Discord, or a YT channel i follow) they make it here, so I might not necessarily react to it when I’ve seen it before.

Also like it’s been said it’s much easier for me to absentmindedly scroll through pictures vs videos that require more attention. Yes, even short 30 second videos require more attention than glancing at a photo.

3 Likes

I can do tricks on my own. Or watch them on demand. Connecting with a human with a feeling of beauty and hope and excitement will always be one of my favorite things to do, even if they can’t do any great tricks.

6 Likes

The tricks don’t have to be super amazing to be appreciated <3

1 Like

I think part of it is that this forum doesn’t have a great interface for videos compared to pics. My tricks don’t embed well sometimes.

6 Likes

Also isnt showing love to yoyo videos connecting with another human with a feeling of beauty, hope and excitement

2 Likes

You’re not going to change things by yelling at people to be different on a free platform. Mail thread is simple, fast, easily discoverable as well as easily dismissed. That quarter of a second I spend to click and pass on is not me watching a single video of some random person for xx seconds without knowing what’ll happen or even caring…

Also Instagram has been proven to be designed to be addictive in flowing from clicks to clicks and suggested videos. Papers galore on the subject.

More research is out there on value of subscribers and clicks (including volume necessary for monetary gain). Yoyos is not where you’ll be making money.

If you want likes and followers, dress up a hamster with tiny food and post daily or start posting pics of feet. There’s more people into that than yoyos.

5 Likes

Maybe we need to fix that? Maybe videos should play as soon as you scroll on it like tiktok?

1 Like

When did I yell at anyone to change things? I’m confused. Just simply starting a discussion

3 Likes

Yeah. I’m not arguing with you. Tricks don’t matter that much compared to the enjoyment. I’m just telling you how I feel, because I do like looking at people’s stuff and hearing what they think and feel about it way more and way more eternally than I like looking at tricks. I spend more time doing it. If I’m looking at tricks, I quickly get the feeling that I want to throw a yoyo instead. If I’m looking at people showing off they’re joyous stuff, I’m never bored.

3 Likes

Hahahahah. No.

1 Like