Why do most companies only include ONE string with their yo-yos? Beginners are then one knot away from being dead in the water

You have to realize that if you include 3 strings with the yoyo, the yo-yo company needs to buy 3x amount of the original amount they would include. String is cheap in volume, but they’re still making a pretty big investment buying 3x the amount. Also takes up a lot of space too lol

3 Likes

As a side note to this i’d really like it if the company stated what string it was. I have come across some fanatastic strings with different throws yet never found out what it was, so could never be sure of purchasing the same.

7 Likes

Strings are an item based on preference. The reason you usually don’t get more than one is because most everyone likes something different - ie: materials used like poly, cotton, nylon, or a blend. Other things to consider would be thickness and color…but for an intended beginners yoyo, there definitely should be more than one included for the purchase!

4 Likes

Seconded

Do you normally throw away the new string that comes on a yo-yo?

As far as “what do you do with the string on a new yo yo” —

• If it is bulk poly I throw it in my “to be given away” pile.

• If it is fancy boutique poly I use it.

4 Likes

I almost always throw them away unless I know they’ve put in a brand/type of my preference.

1 Like

I was just going to bring up that yyf beginner yoyos come with a spare string. It could be to test how long a person is really going to stick with the hobby. With my first throw I went almost a two weeks of yoyoing nearly 4 hours a day before I realized I needed to change the string and went and bought a pack of string with Brain Lube.

1 Like

why would a knot keep a noob dead in the water? Remove knot, keep playing. Knots are the name of the game and we are to become master un-ravelers.

2 Likes

Spent like 7 minutes yesterday on a difficult knot and that is WITH my experience having untangled knots about a thousand times.

Knots are, by their very nature, frustrating and while I agree that anyone who gets into this hobby needs to learn how to deal with tough knots I don’t necessarily think they should have to on the first day of throwing

3 Likes

Kudos to YYF, yet another reason they are a great company

1 Like

Thats when the most knots will occur, and should be addressed to most. They happen less and less as you figure things out. Anyone getting into yoyo should be OK with removing knots asap.

1 Like

Pretty sure I’ve bought new yo-yos that didn’t come with string at all… maybe? I’ve been throwing for a while so I forget stuff.

But yeah …one string to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them. One’s enough I think…

1 Like

That is so true! It’s really helpful too. One of the “perks”

2 Likes