Who do you think is the GOAT of Yo-Yoing?! (any/all styles)

Hey thanks! What a cool thing to read. :pray:

Although this question always reads a bit like “Which wave in the ocean is best?”
They’re all connected.

7 Likes

+1 for humility. Looks like your lead just got a little longer. Lol.

3 Likes

Bro, I deserve no place in any “best of” list.

@edhaponik is totally a valuable figure for a lot of things, fixed axle play being one of the most prominent.

5 Likes

It’s Jensen Kimmit

3 Likes

You’re def. the best I’ve seen in terms of doing 1A tricks on fixies.
Ed is somebody who’s very good at Fixie tricks that utilize the response, like stalls and suicide variations.

3 Likes

Kieren Cooper is goat

1 Like

Who’s the GOAT?

• Hiroyuki Suzuki
  • Shinji Saito
  • Takeshi Matsuura
  • Hajime Miura
  • Shu Takada
  • Rei Iwakura
  • Other

0 voters

4 Likes

Coming back from the general yoyo thougts thread, i think this question is a bit silly and was just an excuse for Evan to talk about who he respects the most, not actually a statement of who is the GOAT of yoyoing. I think such a title can’t be awarded in an activity/sport/hobby that has so many creative outlets such as yoyoing. If we were to really give an objective answer to this, I’m in favor of categorizing.

3 Likes

The problem with this poll is that all the answers are correct in a sense.

I have a bigger issue with the OAT part. It requires comparing competitors from wildly different eras, which makes no sense. There’s no clear way to “adjust for (competitive) inflation”.

Ok well the greatest right now is Hajime. I feel like that’s not even a discussion, unlike with GOAT

4 Likes

I think you’re focusing too much on the “GOAT” part and not enough on the “Who do you think…” part. It’s just a question about your preference.

If I had to pick one person I would say Charles Haycock. Love the way he puts combos together, he has a really unique approach to trick construction and I always enjoy watching what he comes up with.

4 Likes

Fair enough.

I just know that in the sports world, discussing “the GOAT” usually leads away from the elusive nature of personal preference and towards in-depth discussions about performance statistics, what they measure, how effective they are at measuring what they claim to measure, whether it is possible to compare stats from wildly different eras, which stats to give more weight when determining the GOAT, etc.

If all you want to do is ask “Who do you like the most?” then the term GOAT should probably be removed since that term naturally provokes a much deeper discussion.

1 Like

Well… You can think X and someone else can think Y, it doesn’t really matter. There’s no wrong answer to a “What do you think…” style question. So… Who do you think is the GOAT?

I’d have to study the WYYC stats more closely… :wink:

1 Like

Even if you’re studying WYYC stats very carefully, you’re only learning who someone ELSE thinks is the best through the prism of selected subjective criteria. The World YoYo Contest (and every yoyo contest) decides who is CHAMPION - not who’s best. “Beating the game” in yo-yoing relies on both winning the executed routine AND in winning the judges’ perception of the routine. As we’ve seen, a player can do everything right, but ultimately the championship is AWARDED.

I think we try to make yo-yoing a sport because we’re afraid people won’t care about it, but the sport we made up won’t provide much solid data for this kind of purpose. I mean we can measure the baskets a player makes over a career and identify the greatest NBA scorers quantifiably, then subjectively discuss their significance with their peers across different eras. Same with ERA in baseball or rushing yards in football, 100m freestyle times are even more cut and dry… But even in those contexts, you’d be hard-pressed to present quantifiable evidence for a universally accepted “GOAT”, let alone in yo-yoing where the rational basis for even judging players against their contemporaries is so limited.

The idea of trying to apply such a thing to yo-yoing sounds about like trying to use commuter perception data to choose a GOAT graffiti artist or taste-test data for a GOAT croissant baker. It’s trying to apply a rational means of quantification to a thing which has no quantity. This will never yield a better answer than “here’s who I find most relevant/important”.

And by this, (sorry totally TL;DR) I’m not suggesting that this conversation is in any way a waste of time. I think it’s fun and thought-provoking to debate the impact of a Mickey compared with a Gentry or a Barney… like Root said, the fun part is the justification.

For my money, Steve Brown is waaaaaaay up there. His combination of raw creativity, innovation, performance, players he’s inspired PLUS a huge appreciation/knowledge for yo-yo trick history puts him in some pretty rarefied air.

7 Likes

While all true, I don’t find it helpful to me to just go on some gut instinct. Mostly because I lack the necessary experience to make a credible choice. Therefore I turn to something more concrete: performance stats.

Gymnastics faces a similar issue. If you look at gymnastic scores they are determined in exactly the same manner as yoyo scores. In effect, Olympic medals are awarded to gymnasts every bit as much as yoyo championships are awarded to yoyoers. But in the absence of any other concrete data, that’s what we (well, I) have to go with.

I am willing to accept that a competitor who has won titles across numerous years, succeeding as an elite player despite changing rules and scoring meta, as a legitimate contender for the GOAT. I’m not going to look at nebulous concepts like “impact” or “influence” because that can’t be quantified in any way that I know of. Even signature yoyo sales (a hard number) really only tells us who is popular, not necessarily who exhibits the most skill.

So yes, I’m fine with the notion that the GOAT is the “best competitor” rather than the “best yoyoer”, simply because I see no other credible way to determine the latter, at least not for myself.

Gotta disagree vehemently on gymnastics comparison.

Gymnastics competitors are NOT just doing a free-for-all over 3 minutes on stage. They are executing pre-determined techniques on the various apparatuses - every commentator and every judge knows the value of the executed techniques and the relevant deductions, along with what the competitor is going to try to do. This is even true on the most “free” apparatus, the floor. That’s why the commentators can immediately say "oh that was a 0.2 deduction and predict results with FAR more accuracy than would be plausible in yo-yo. In the old days when we did compulsory tricks to get to the freestyles, THAT could be compared to modern gymnastics (or diving, ice skating, etc). But to suggest that watching Evan or Hajime reveal tricks (many for the first time) in real time and accurately score them in context with those of other competitors is in any way analogous to that kind of rigidity is erroneous.

And thank god, because who would want to watch the most exciting yo-yoers in the world go through the motions on a bunch of pre-determined tricks?

edit: And I think it’s fine to select the GOAT by any criteria you want (or feel you’re able to use), as long as you know what you’re using and why.

2 Likes

I thought this was true for yoyo judging as well. How else do judges award clicks? How could they possible assign a final score if they didn’t know the value of the executed techniques and the relevant deductions? If they don’t know these things, then maybe they shouldn’t be judging. If you’re saying that there isn’t enough of a standard consensus on clicks and deductions, then maybe the scoring system is perilously flawed and should be completely re-evaluated.

From the various YouTube and Instagram videos I’ve seen of the elite players who compete at the highest level, there appears to be a very high correlation between unbound skill (i.e., skill not tied to the specific needs of winning a competition based on what tricks score the best) and competition skill. That correlation appears high enough to me to use competition scoring as the benchmark for determining the GOAT. There is no other formalized system that is better for this purpose (that I know of).

1 Like

Here’s the rules for the championship division.
http://iyyf.org/wyyc2019-rules/freestyle-rules-2019/

Nowhere do they (nor COULD they possibly) outline anything approaching the gamut of trick elements performed, and even less could they put them in contexts with other elements. It’s on each judge to maintain an objective standard for the value of a sideways “gt suicide” vs a “tower laceration”. If such standards existed, who could possibly keep them all straight in real time? I mean I love Dazzling Dave, but cmon. We do our best.

I’ve judged at every level, and organizers (especially at Worlds) do their best to work with a flawed system and to maintain a high standard of understanding of the rules. But there’s no way a judge with no sense of what’s coming can dot every i and cross every t in the way a gymnastics judge can determine whether a flip with a 1.5 twist was performed (as expected) and that they landed straight with their feet together.

It’s not the same. It doesn’t make either of them less valuable, and competition is a perfectly valid line to use in judging GOAT - just no more so than any other subjective line (IMO).

1 Like