Which yoyo manufacturer has the best colorways?

Personally, I think Duncan rules the solid colorways.

1 Like

There are a lot of great companies with great color ways. So hard to choose from!

1 Like

I know. I feel like Yoyofficer rules splash kingdom and YYF rules fades.

2 Likes

G2! So fresh

5 Likes

Well, do you have any favorite colorways from a certain company?

2 Likes

I’d say hands down MFD does the best colorways. G2 is up there too because of their swirls.

3 Likes

NO love for CLYW? :flushed: Wow. I was certain to see that on here seeing how they practically invented that game.

Zip Zop, Lost in Space, Shark vs Zombie Beaver, the list goes on and on.

Special shout out to Monkeyfinger for representing proper! Their splash game is on point!

And G2 Swirls, cause. . . dam!

4 Likes

Older CLYW colorways are on the top of my list! :blush:

3 Likes

This brings up a good point for yo-yo history — who did the first metal splash colorway? And which brand popularized splashes?

3 Likes

Caribou Lodge Yoyo Works (CLYW) I would definitely say popularized splashed ano. I’m trying to remember if their stuff was the first I saw. I think it was.

4 Likes

I want to say that the earliest version was a sore of tortise shell crackle. I want to say it was a silver bullet? Or maybe a different Tom Khun (slim line) that has some of the very first specially colors yoyos. So I think the OG goes to his line.

But I also want to say that CLYW was really the pioneer and first on the dance floor to open the flood gates of actual splashes and eye catching color combos.

4 Likes

Any pics of the very VERY earliest CLYW splashes out there? What year would this be?

2 Likes

Would have to be the peak. Maple Drip, Clareview Station, Hulk Smash?

edit- have to add 28 Stories which is one of the earliest named ones if i recall…

2 Likes

I was just about to say Peak lol.

1 Like

2007 it looks like the first ano’d (not painted) peaks appeared.

Peak history - https://www.yoyonation.net/index.php/topic,89984.0.html

5 Likes

I definitely hadn’t seen that picture before, but there’s several very good Peak History topics here, including one that’s pretty authoritative!

1 Like

I’m going to be boring and say CLYW, I really like their fades

2 Likes

Yeah. I’ve seen fades by C3 that are really good.

1 Like

Ths is an example of a C3 fade with splash.

Level6-GreenBluePink-1_grande

1 Like

CLYW was the first to popularise splashes and other finishes. Their novel early work with Pioneer, Vendetta and then Gruntbull were of a very high quality, though expensive and not without QA issues.

These are some of my Peaks. The quality of the finish on the golden nugget is quite fantastic. The ‘crackle’ on the Sebby Peak has call-backs to the early finishes Pioneer was achieving.

Many others are producing decent anodisations these days and they can be achieved much cheaper, and at scale by the modern Chinese machine shops and manufacturers. I’m not denigrating them for it; time, tools and competencies have simply moved on.
IMG_20181007_102247

6 Likes