Where do you throw?

like minquan, school and home.

Earlier I mentioned that I throw at my niece’s softball tournaments…really great exposure for yoyo as there are countless kids everywhere and a lot really get into what I’m doing.

Today was another softball game throwing session between games. It honestly did not take long before I had people watching me. Starting off, some kids came right up and asked me what kind of yoyo I had and that they had one like it. I showed them my One Star and explained that it’s not ‘released’ yet/can’t buy it anywhere yet. After that, one went into telling me about how he placed 2nd at a school yoyo contest. Wishing I had a responsive yo, I would have gladly asked him to show me what he can do. I then show him some of my other ‘eye catcher’ tricks and they really got into Gyroscopic Flop (or as they called it “Superman” in reference to a roller coaster that’s opening soon in my area: gets launched out of a tunnel, goes upward, then 150 feet in the air it takes a barrel roll slowly…which they associated my yoyo slowly turning over with that ride’s element). Being a coaster enthusiast as well, I had a little nod and grin.

After the first game I run into the kids again as I’m carrying my gear (YYE Contest Bag, backpack with camera). First thing I hear is “Hey, there’s that yoyo guy again!” As I saw them, I unzipped the bag and showed them my main throw lineup. They were amazed at the different shapes, sizes, and colors. I really wanted to show them some 5A and 4A but space-wise it was not feasible.

A bit later in the sports park’s restaurant I was throwing when one of the teams that just finished playing walked in and suddenly crowded around me, watching me do my thing. Impressed, they asked how I did all of that? Typical answer: Practice! Coach agreed since the girls team has to practice also to improve their game.

A little bit more later, outside throwing before game #2. A toddler (who can speak) comes up and is watching me for a minute. He then asks “What is that?” I told him that it was a yoyo. Puzzled as he’s probably never even seen these ‘new-fangled toys’ before, he watches in awe at some of the things I’m doing. I’m sure he probably didn’t even get the idea of what one would do with a yoyo. Nonetheless, another person interested.

Towards the end of the day, even more people of different ages are watching when some of the players are indirectly complimenting what I’m doing. I then pull out a 5A yoyo when I hear “oh wow, he’s got one with a dice on it!” Then the kids I ran into at the beginning come up and ask me to pull out the tiny yoyo (Littles) and do the “Superman” trick again (Being Gyro Flop).

All in all, was a great day of throwing and another reason why I now take my bag to every game I go to: great exposure to our little corner of the world. I could be standing in an empty area with people in the distance and they will come… sometimes I tend to do that as I don’t want to feel like I’m deliberately trying to show off. Really wishing I had my Revolutions down, they’d really love that one! I have been practicing that trick religiously all day today and discovering what works and what doesn’t.

Now, to take the yoyo to the theme park again or not to?

I’m poetry particular about where I throw. I only ever throw on planet earth.