Where are all the chileheads at?

im an eater, not a grower, but i love tabasco habanero and scorpion sauce for home, tastes amazing. taco bell diablo sauce is also among my favorites, but it’s nothing extreme. i’ve tried tons of hot sauces, but they’re all either too watery, too bland, or tastes like generic wing hot sauce, i need some recommendations!

3 Likes

CaJohn’s Quetzalcoatl and Mikey V’s Garlic Scorpion are a couple of great hot sauces. I highly recommend both.

This is another good one that I discovered recently…

If you like a nice sweet heat, you will probably enjoy this one.

3 Likes

I like Daves, El Yucateco, Marie Sharps, Stinger, cajohns has some good ones. My wife isnt a big fan of spicy, but she is hooked on the Marie Sharps mild habanero sauce, fantastic flavor. Im quite a fan of Marie Sharps sauces. One of my favorites is from cajohns called La Segadora reaper sauce, again great flavor and not crazy hot, pretty mild for a reaper sauce.

3 Likes

I’m from New Mexico. Chile is in our dna. That being said, we don’t have the yard we used to so no chilies getting grown this year. Sadness. Just waiting on that first roast to come up from Hatch.

I’ll try any hot sauce once. Franks is always on the table because I’m a simpleton. Steve O makes a nice hot sauce surprisingly. I need to try some local stuff though and broaden my horizons in the world of hot sauce. I’m covered with chilie, but hot sauce is a new frontier for me after 27 years of Louisiana and franks.

3 Likes

Those are some healthy looking plants and nice looking pods.

How strong were the fumes dehydrating your peppers in the oven? I use a dehydrator for mine, and it can be a little noxious at times, especially when I’m drying my hotter varieties.

1 Like

Fervor by heartbreaking dawns is another really good sauce with sweeter notes if thats your thing.

Ingredients: Apple Cider Vinegar, Orange Marmalade, Reaper Peppers, Water, Red Habanero Peppers, Strawberries, Carrots, Honey, Onions, Soy Sauce, Salt, Garlic, Xanthan Gum, Ginger, CorianderGLUTEN FREE, ALL-NATURAL, NO PRESERVATIVES.

2 Likes

I bought this in some oriental grocery and being on the dregs of the bottle I took a picture so I could find it in the store. I haven’t been able to find any and this thread made me pull up the picture. I googled it and found it on Amazon. I really liked it, because it was hot, but not burning your mouth hot. and had plenty of flavor, too. More so than the common stuff in the grocery store. Again, it is hot, but not excessively so. It would never serve those after a reaper sauce. It sure is tasty, though.

4 Likes

I was expecting bad things, but ultimately the entire house just smelled like fruity peppers without any ill effects.

5 Likes

In Cuba, New Mexico the Green Chili stew if you are in the area - from New Mexico too - temperature fluctuates but is usually the hottest GC stew I have come across

2 Likes

That sounds like I’m gonna set off my IBS for a few hours but that also sounds worth it. Don’t think I’ve had a crop from Cuba! I’ll have to hunt some down this year. When’s the crop due usually?

2 Likes

Not exactly sure - I do believe the chili is local they use in the stew

2 Likes

Can’t have anything but bells due to my health these days :confused: Never grew much besides bell myself, but I love cayenne, jalapeño (& chipotle), banana, seranno, etc.

My go to hot sauces were Frank’s (always #1), Valentina, & Cholula (standard and chipotle [not hot, but flavorful]). Tapatio #4 because I found it less versatile, but great with certain things. Just discovered Lousiana before food sensitivities crept in, but one that was climbing the ranks.

1 Like

If you like the regular and the chipotle, you should try the Sweet Habanero Cholula. It is cheap and pretty good, and isn’t really all that hot. None of the Cholula sauces are really.

1 Like

That’s good. I’m hesitant to do any cooking with hot peppers in our house because of how strong the fumes can be. I can tolerate it, but my dogs, not so much. That will change when we get our kitchen remodeled in the next couple of years, however. Once we have a nice ventilation system, I will feel more comfortable experimenting with making hot sauces, salsas, preserves, spicy pickles, etc.

Heartbreaking Dawns makes some great sauces. The 1542 Southwest Habanero is my personal favorite. I liked that one so much, it inspired me to start growing Chocolate Habs several years back.

1 Like

Oddly enough, habanero is the one pepper I’ve tried that I don’t like. The flavor just doesn’t mesh with my tastebuds. I’m probably the only chili head that doesn’t care for them lol

A lot of people don’t like them, actually, or at least they don’t like the Orange Habaneros. Personally, I only enjoy them dried and flaked up. Chocolate Habs are the ones that I can truly enjoy fresh or dried.

I’ll have to try those when I’m able again! Don’t think I’ve encountered those around here.

1 Like

Ya’ll ever pick a patch of pickled peppers previously as a proposition?

Ok now that i have alliteration out of the way I used to be SO temperamental when it came to spice. I’ve gradually built up some tolerance and can handle and even appreciate the flavor of a habenero but I obviously wouldn’t eat one, seeds and all unless I wanted to inflict punishment upon myself. It’s weird how various peppers and sauces interact and seem to build in heat differently. For instance for my palette the spiciness of cayenne is much more sharp and shorter-lasting than aforementioned habenero spice, which builds gradually and lingers for me.

Capsaicin is weird, yo. All I know is that at around 150,000 scoville is where I draw the line between pleasure and pain and that around 200k is just hell for me, and that I’m still most comfortable eating jalapeños more than any other spicy pepper.

2 Likes

It’s not just the capsaicin. There is also the terpenes and flavonoids that contribute to the unique burn and flavor of different chile varieties. The effects can be almost psychoactive when you start swimming in the super hot deep end.

2 Likes