Where are all the chileheads at?

I know that there has to be a few of my fellow heat fiends on this forum. Where are you at?

What types of hot peppers are you growing this year?

What types of hot sauces are you enjoying these days?

Obligatory photo of my dog, Luna, guarding my transplanted pepper plants. This photo was taken 2 days after transplanting. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Gringo Bandito hot sauces, from Dexter Holland, the lead singer of The Offspring.

4 Likes

I’ve seen his sauces, but I am yet to try any of them. Gringo Bandito is definitely on the list of brands I want to try at some point.

I put the red and green Gringo Bandito sauces on everything. I find them to be the perfect balance of flavor and heat. It’s actually made it much harder for me to appreciate other hot sauces.

The super hot one is made with Scorpion and Jolokia peppers and is a little too hot for regular use for me.

3 Likes

I love my sauces the same way I like my peppers…DUMB HOT. As long as the sauce doesn’t contain oleoresin capsicum/pepper extract, there is no such thing as “too hot” for me.

Here are a couple of recent favorites of mine…

4 Likes

Now this a thread I’m excited about :muscle:t5:

I feel like the hot sauce scene in the UK is TRASH now.
I’ve not done a ton of exploring lately, A bunch of my favourites shut during Covid, so I’ve literally just been eating fresh chillies with my food. Which has given me a ton of revelations about flavours and what works with what.

Think I’m gonna get back on the sauce scene! This post has inspired me to lol

4 Likes

Nice! I’m glad this thread could inspire you.

And I’m right there with you when it comes to the fresh chiles. I love adding them to my meals when they are in season, which is only a few months out of the year for me. The rest of the year, I get down on chile flakes I make out of my dehydrated pods.

Here are a few of the peppers I’ve grown over the years…

2023 Red Hubaneros. These were Orange Habaneros in 2018, but this is what they look like after several years of keeping and growing out open pollinated seeds.

2021 BBM. This was the hottest and most productive variety I grew that year. The pods had the most wicked mouth numbing burn. It was like fire ant bites in your mouth.

2023 Big Olive Mama. This was a personal favorite from last year. It wasn’t the hottest I grew, but the flavor was enjoyable, and the plant itself was super productive. I enjoyed this variety so much I had to grow it again in a 20 gallon container.

12 Likes

Great thread! I am just a consumer not a grower. I did Yo-Yo shows at that Hatch Chili Festival in New Mexico and included that I would be paid partly in green chili.

9 Likes

I‘ve been growing quite some pods in the past years.

Mostly for drying and grinding to flakes or powder. I‘m well stocked up now and stopped growing

Some impressions:

9 Likes

Some reapers I grew last year. Friend used 1 pepper in a gallon of salsa and it still had enough kick for a regular joe haha. Wasnt really gonna grow much this year but I overwintered my reaper plant and its taking off again so Ill see what it does this year. Grew some other peppers last year like some tabasco and fresno chilis but havent had the time this year.

9 Likes

I’ve never grown peppers before but I’ve been enjoying Queen Majesty’s hot sauce

1 Like

That is awesome, and it is also reminds me of a cool historical tidbit about chiles. They were once used as currency in the days of the Inca empire.

1 Like

If you like the Reaper and want to try growing another brutally hot variety, I highly recommend the Primotalii. I grew those last year, and they were the hottest pepper I’ve ever grown or tried to date. Nothing else has been as hot for me since I got totally wrecked on those.

Whats a good one to grow in colder weather?
Im in uk i had a kit for jalepenos came with pot/soil/seeds
Followed insructions they would start to sprout the tinest bit but when i look next day its gone
Seeds were a few years old but could be reason
But i have grown basil and thmye and few other herbs fine

1 Like

I’m in a pretty bad climate zone for growing hot peppers, and I seem to get the best results from chinense varieties (Habanero, Scotch Bonnet, Bhut Jolokia, Carolina Reaper, etc.). All of the super hot peppers, pretty much.

The key is starting your seeds indoors early in the year (January or February), and then moving them outdoors when you have no risk of freezing weather. They need that indoor head start to be able to produce a lot of ripe pods during the limited harvest window. I only get fresh pods 2-3 months out of the year, depending on when the first frost arrives in the fall.

1 Like

Im not familiar with that variety, Ill have to check it out. Those big olive mamas you grew look like some Id like to try. What was the heat comparable to on those peppers?

1 Like

I would say that they are hotter than Ghosts but still nowhere near as hot as Reapers. The heat level did vary a bit from pod to pod, but they were all chunky, oily, and had a really nice flavor when diced up and added to my meals.

Here are a few more photos of the BOM…

4 Likes

Yup, Im gonna ahve to grow some of those they look great :+1:

1 Like

I have plenty of seeds if you’re interested in trading.

I apreciate gesture but I didnt keep any seeds. Last year was my first year growing, well, much of anything so Im still learning the ropes.

1 Like