When will gentry and evan make a video together?

I’ve been waiting for this colab.

1 Like

No they won’t.

1 Like

Just got home after a long weekend at the YoTuber’s Summit 2023. The biggest news of the conference was that they were actually gonna do this until someone on the YYE Forums named Marco jinxed it by asking if it was gonna happen.

…oh.

3 Likes

Is Evan still on the blacklist, or did he ever genuinely apologize for his crappy antics?

2 Likes

Real talk I don’t think the YoYo God-Chad Gentry would risk his spotless ICON of a reputation making content with the Edge lord

8 Likes

Oh my…

Hope evan never finds this

1 Like

Tbh I think that evan could do it at some point

With the controversy and optics no I don’t see that happening any time soon.

New to the ‘deep world’ of yoyo-ing, first I am hearing about Evan’s antics.

Speaking as rationally as one could about some monumentally ridiculous actions:

1. What a time to grow up in the world of social media where your platform amplifies all your misguided adolescent antics.

2. We’ve all said and done some really ignorant things in our past, we just weren’t:

• large enough
  • loud enough
    for others to hear it and/or take offense to it.

If you are ‘guilty’ in the court of public opinion, what is the right sentence? I don’t think there is an apology that will resonate/reach everyone…but in a time where we have platforms (Tiktok) that incentivize users to be more and more outlandish, perhaps we will just continue to test the bottom.

3 Likes

It’s more how he handled the fallout. There was a half-hearted apology, and a paid SEO PR push to boost articles claiming nothing ever happened.

5 Likes

This would have been fair if he ever really apologized. Which he didn’t.

6 Likes

Ah, thanks for the context. I was not aware of his poor attempts at an apology.

Weaponizing his own reach/platform to offset press instead of addressing it head-on is next level low.

2 Likes

On the internet, when something is posted, it will NEVER go away

1 Like

I know I’m going to come off as a bit of a fan boy here, but Gentry is a class act. Having been to the Chico yoyo club when he taught there, as well as multiple California state and National contests, I’ve been impressed with how he interacts with the community.

Almost every 5 minutes it seems a different kid will come up to show him their “new trick” which is usually a double or nothing or something similar, and he was super encouraging to every one of them.

Even at California State one year when it was literally like 15 people standing around on a cloudy day, he really was there for the younger generation, and made the Junior division winners feel like they’d just won a big contest.

And he keeps this up all day. At every contest. For years.

15 Likes

So I met him a few weeks ago at the Fl yoyo contest- and I would have to agree.

Everyone that came up to him he spent time with and didn’t “hurry” them off.

I literally tried to be fast, get a signature and get outta there. But he asked my name, made some banter and spent WAY more time than he had to just being nice.

He seems so genuine and like he actually appreciates and values his fans which was cool

11 Likes

Agreed! Gentry really took the time for me to introduce myself and for asking him to sign some things! He really is a great guy :smiley:

8 Likes

I should get a shutter smh gentry so cool

2 Likes

I mean it’s up to you of course.

Here’s the thing. When I was younger (like 12), and first starting to yo-yo, I was a huge fan of Gentry’s.

I was absolutely what a few of the “boutique yo-yo lovers” sometimes sneer at. If he put out a signature yo-yo, I saved up and bought it. I believed the hype.

I wanted to be a yo-yo champion too, etc, etc.

Eventually, I got really into medicine, physics and violin, and made the conscious choice towards an academic focus, rather than a yo-yo one.

So as an adult, I’m not the same type of fanboy I was. That would be weird.

BUT, as someone who’s been involved in a lot of scenes, and as one (young) adult to another, I have the utmost respect for a real professional, who is devoted to their community. Which he is.

Am I trying to say “Gentry is so cool, he’s the #1 bestest yoyoer”?

No.

But I’ve got mad respect for the dude and how he operates, because that ain’t easy.

(See Evan and Angelo)

6 Likes

This a rare quality amongst those in his position, sadly. The only individual I recall doing that was BB King. After the show he stayed spoke to and signed guitars or whatever one would have. Very calmly did this from the ground floor. It’s wonderful to hear that others do the same. He’s a great ambassador for this fun activity we love

6 Likes