The structure of Yoyo Factory

Was thinking about it earlier, the structure of Yoyo Factory as a brand is pretty unique from most other brands, except for maybe onedrop.

They sponsor these players that basically create their own microbrand underneath them, like Evan and Gentry for example. Or Markmont for onedrop.

I don’t see very many other brands doing this, it’s kind of unique.

8 Likes

This is true.

I’ve always wondered how profitable being sponsored by YYF is for Gentry/Evan :thinking:

4 Likes

Enough to where Gentry and Evan can have yoyo as a job

4 Likes

Depending on the life style they live that could still be pretty low. I wanna ballpark guess like 40k-60k a year?

I honestly have no clue though. Could be way off in either direction.

I think you guys are heavily overestimating this. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

2 Likes

Those 2 are most certainly making a living out of yoyo(it’s not speculation, they’ve both outright stated this) so they’re definitely making at least a decent amount of money from YYF

3 Likes

Gentry and Evan are at the absolutely top of what yoyoing can bring you. I definitely wouldn’t be surprised to hear it’s as low as 20k a year, but they do make their living off of yoyoing only.

2 Likes

Yeah it doesn’t get much better than being a world champion sponsored by YYF

6 Likes

What @andy569 said. Gentry and Evan have flat out said multiple times that yo-yo is their job

It’s up to the player in the end. Gentry and Evan have the skill and personality.

Where Zach G had the skill but didn’t want to be an “influencer”

But it’s really unique to have a player that can do both and wants to.

9 Likes

Gentry and Evan couldn’t be making NEAR as much as K-Strass

4 Likes

I think the big thing for Gentry and Evan is how successful their signature throws are. Just think of how many people suggest the Shutter as someone’s first metal. Then with all of Evan’s recent competitive success, I bet that boosted sales for Wedges and Edges. Then I bet they get a little bit more for one’s sold direct from their own websites (which they direct people to in their videos).

Yeah I don’t know directly, but judging by the gorgeous home in Hawaii that Evan films all his Instagram videos in, he is sitting on significant outside financial support that is not due to his own (very respectable) success.

1 Like

This encompasses the uniqueness right here. They’re sponsored by yyf, and yyf manufactures all of their signature yoyos, but they basically run their own brands simultaneously.

Very unique :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Kinda like Jordan brand and how it’s an offshoot of Nike

3 Likes